CR80, CR85 tuning

I have a 2000 CR80 and a 2005 CR85. I want to set them up for motocross racing for an intermediate level rider. The severe lack of low end power seems to be an area to improve. Any recommendations? My kid is moving up from a 2009 KTM65 and is used to better low and mid range due to a power valve. My ideas are possibly a Fatty pipe and Vforce reeds.

I have a 2000 CR80 and a 2005 CR85. I want to set them up for motocross racing for an intermediate level rider. The severe lack of low end power seems to be an area to improve. Any recommendations? My kid is moving up from a 2009 KTM65 and is used to better low and mid range due to a power valve. My ideas are possibly a Fatty pipe and Vforce reeds.

If you read on Eric Gorr's website, he says that the 2 best mods for a cr80/85 is the vforce reeds and a fmf shorty silencer. I think both are made to improve low end throttle response on the bike. If you really need low end torque though, have it ported for more low to mid range torque.

My '98 with v force reeds, PC factory sound silencer, and 14 tooth front sprocket hauls my 175lb butt around! Never complained about lack of low end, probably because when it hits, it hits HARD!

If you read on Eric Gorr's website, he says that the 2 best mods for a cr80/85 is the vforce reeds and a fmf shorty silencer. I think both are made to improve low end throttle response on the bike. If you really need low end torque though, have it ported for more low to mid range torque.

I looked on his website but can't find the info. Do you have a link?

Thanks for all of the replies!

I looked on his website but can't find the info. Do you have a link?

Thanks for all of the replies!

Sorry, I knew I had read it from something by Eric Gorr. It actually wasn't information on his website but it was information that is in his Mini bike tuning guide that I got for free when he did the big bore kit on my son's 2001 cr80. You can buy his manuals if you want to read it. Having said that, both the vforce reeds and the shorty pipe are supposed to add low end torque. The 80's and 85's have loads of top end so those are both good mods for them. If you want to pay for porting, Eric would probably port your bikes for more low end torque. Having said that, the 52mm big bore kit with low to mid range porting made my son's 80 into an awesome trail bike and when we play on the MX track, you can roll the throttle on from the corners and it accelerates really hard, without even clutching it into the power band. Best mod that I have ever seen for a small bore 2 stroke and it was only $375.

• 5 years later...

A 5mm exaust spacer really helped me when I got my cr80 I think a Reed spacer and byson reeds would be really good the powerband is very abrupt and hard to control especially compared to my crf100 but these cr80 can be really fun when you learn to ride them

• 1 month later...