225 Plastics don't line up?

I took the tank of the gf's TTR225, while I had it off, I noticed that the rubber bushing and metal do-hickey were gone on one side, so I got new ones.

Now neither side will bolt on! The front mounting tank bolts go on fine, the rear tank bolt is a little more stubborn - too tight but goes in. The side panel to gas tank mount is off by a good 3/8" if not more and the odd part is it's too far forward on the tank, so the threaded hole is behind the panel hole.

What did I miss? Is there a special order to install these things?

when mine was loose a bit i went investigating too, and found i was missing a bolt. then spent 45 minutes lining it back up. just keep working on it. make sure the seat is off right... i didn't have a replacement bolt but doubt i ever woulda gotten it on had I either.

It still ain't right, but it's close.

I had to put the front end on first, then twist push and shove the panel to get it to line up with the rear, as soon as you start cranking the rear bolt down, the front walks out about 1/4" or so, but you can't tell from the outside.

You can't modify it with a cutting tool so it lines up right, the rubber bushing will fall out. Maybe that's why mine was missing.

Somebody was asleep at the wheel when they made the mold for those things.