Latest MXA

I just read the latest MXA (July or August) and they had an interview with one of the main engineer/creators of the CRF450. One question in the interview stood out to me. When MXA asked about the future of 2 strokes at Honda, his answer was something of the nature that there is no future for two strokes at Honda.The company has made a business decision not to support two strokes. His reasoning was the environmental "green card", although we all know itโ€™s about $$.

I know this has been known for quite some time but I thought it was interesting coming straight from Honda's mouth, sad really. Honda used to be my favorite manufacture however I cant seem to understand or respect their recent business decissions. Who knows maybe in 5 years KTM or Yamaha 2 strokes sales will catch fire and Honda will be forced to not ignore 2 strokes and more.

You should not be surprised really ....

Honda contributes a lot of money and is a supporter of the Sierra Fund (the largest anti-ORV organization around).

I LOVE my bike (CRF450R) and would buy another one ... but I don't like Honda the company.

KTM guys sometimes love the company more than their bikes (which is why all their clothing. etc. is orange)๐Ÿ™‚

I read that too . The whole "green" argument no longer holds water as DI 2 stroke technology produces an engine that runs as clean or cleaner than a 4 stroke. Its only a matter of time before someone applies this technology to dirt bikes , then Honda will be left behind.

Honda contributes a lot of money and is a supporter of the Sierra Fund (the largest anti-ORV organization around).

I LOVE my bike (CRF450R) and would buy another one ... but I don't like Honda the company.

KTM guys sometimes love the company more than their bikes (which is why all their clothing. etc. is orange)๐Ÿ™‚

I agree. Honda running car ads on Sierra club sites just tells me they are now run by the bean counters, and no longer support or care about their M/C riders/buyers.

Even though I own several Honda's now, they will most likely be replaced by Orange bikes in the future. This from someone that grew up bleeding Red! ...and I'm not a youngster.:banana:

I agree. Honda running car ads on Sierra club sites just tells me they are now run by the bean counters, and no longer support or care about their M/C riders/buyers.

Even though I own several Honda's now, they will most likely be replaced by Orange bikes in the future. This from someone that grew up bleeding Red! ...and I'm not a youngster.:banana:

Me too, although I still holdout hope Yamaha will do something with their YZ250, my next bike will likely be orange. ๐Ÿ™‚

Umm I've been saying this for years... Their 2-strokes suck anyways but people have a strange desire to support them. Its the darndest thing.

I don't think the Honda 2-strokes suck. The later case-reed motor was just under developed due to all the R&D money going to the CRF. The chassis is solid, they just need a Keihin carb, proper squish, and a bit of port work. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yamaha may be keeping their 2-stroke in the line-up (as the last Japanese manufacturer), but face it it is long in the tooth. The 250 motor was developed in what 97, and hasn't changed since 02. And even though it has an aluminum frame it handles the same as the previous steel frame. The only real advancement is the forks, and better shock valving from an 02 model.

I don't think the Honda 2-strokes suck. The later case-reed motor was just under developed due to all the R&D money going to the CRF. The chassis is solid, they just need a Keihin carb, proper squish, and a bit of port work. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yamaha may be keeping their 2-stroke in the line-up (as the last Japanese manufacturer), but face it it is long in the tooth. The 250 motor was developed in what 97, and hasn't changed since 02. And even though it has an aluminum frame it handles the same as the previous steel frame. The only real advancement is the forks, and better shock valving from an 02 model.

Take off your Honda goggles PF. How can anyone consider a bike "good" if it only needs a new carb, head mods and port work? :banana: Your talking to a guy who has owned and ridden all late model jap 250t's. I just got a YZ250 and its a hell of a bike, stock. Its turns and handles just as good as my 07 KX250, which handled as well as my 04 CR250. Power is great, suspension is great, and I dont have to send the cylinder in to get port work or case mods done or find a different carb in order for it run close to a stock rm/kx/yz/sx. Its great. Compared to the other jap 250s the stock CR250 sucks. I agree it can be made great...as can every other bike.

BTW, the YZ motor was developed in 99 and last changed in 03, funny thing is that it was better in 99 than the CR was in 07... and sorry, go ride both a steel and and ally before you make a statements like that. The AL frame dropped 5 lbs alone. I have an 02 in my garage right now, there's a difference.

I just read that article, what a joke. F-U Honda.

BTW, the YZ motor was developed in 99 and last changed in 03, funny thing is that it was better in 99 than the CR was in 07... and sorry, go ride both a steel and and ally before you make a statements like that. The AL frame dropped 5 lbs alone. I have an 02 in my garage right now, there's a difference.

.02 in your garage? Does it feel unloved & under-used?๐Ÿ™‚

Umm I've been saying this for years... Their 2-strokes suck anyways but people have a strange desire to support them. Its the darndest thing.

OMG...i know you didnt say that๐Ÿคฃ:lol:๐Ÿ™‚ say it again :banana:

Dont know why this is a suprise. Honda back in 07 said they were done with 2 strokes with no interested in producing them. Still has not changed 3 years later.

They even pulled the 85s. So they are done.

For the reedcase motor, there is major potential there. Look at what RCs bikes did back in day. But like a lot of MX bikes, the concept was there, but never produced very well.

Haha oops my bad

at least im back on a smoker ๐Ÿ™‚ the fourstroke fever didnt last long this time so the 450 is about to be gone :banana:

Haha you always come back !

I just rode an 07 yz.What a disappointment.Compared to my CR steering was heavier,midrange was lacking and suspension was harsh.But otherwise a nice bike:smirk:

That makes sense cause yz's are known for heavy steering weak midrange and harsh suspension lol

Lots of us older guys grew up on the Honda CR250: hammered countless laps, and won our share of motos on them. In fact, since you are 25 yrs old- some of us had been riding them for 10 years before you were even born! These are probably the guys who have the strongest affinity to these machines- those of us with the longest memories, and longest history with the CR250.

The last edition of the CR250 may not have been Honda's greatest effort, but there are also some people who think that this may have been at least partly deliberate on Honda's part to make the then new CRF450 look like a gem in comparison to the two stroke.

Make no mistake, Honda has produced outstanding two strokes in the past- especially in the era of full works bikes, and fielded incredibly strong MX teams. Just think Sun, Hansen, O'Mara, LaPorte, Lechien, Bailey, Hannah, Stanton, Bayle, McGrath etc. etc. etc. Ever wonder why the AMA instituted the production rule? It's partly because Yamaha cried so much about the 1984 and 1985 full works Honda RC250 that the AMA finally caved in. Honda is fully capable of producing world class two strokes, their corporate philosophy is the issue.

Edited by APBT

Lots of us older guys grew up on the Honda CR250: hammered countless laps, and won our share of motos on them. In fact, some of us had been riding them for 10 years before you were even born! These are probably the guys who have the strongest affinity to these machines- those of us with the longest memories.

The last edition of the CR250 may not have been Honda's greatest effort, but there are also some people who think that this may have been at least partly deliberate on Honda's part to make the then new CRF450 look like a gem in comparison to the two stroke.

Make no mistake, Honda has produced outstanding two strokes in the past- especially in the era of full works bikes, and fielded incredibly strong MX teams. Just think Sun, Hansen, O'Mara, LaPorte, Lechien, Bailey, Hannah, Stanton, McGrath etc. etc. etc. Ever wonder why the AMA instituted the production rule? It's because Yamaha cried so much about the 1984 and 1985 full works Honda RC250 that the AMA finally caved in. Honda is fully capable of producing world class two strokes, their corporate philosophy is the issue.

This is the sad truth!

I guess I'll never own a new Honda CR 250...... ever ... ๐Ÿ™‚