Installed Kick on DRZ400E and now cannot start it...help!

Hello:

I installed the kick starter on my 2001 DRZ400E as per all the walk throughs, the kick starter moves ok, and the decompression clicks back out ok after pushing it in.

My battery is dead, but that should not matter I would think....The whole reason I got the kick was incase my battery died..

I have tried kicking it for an hour now, using the decompresser, not using the decompressor, fule off, fule on, choke in, choke out.

I have turned the fule off, put the choke in, WOT and kicked it 20 times to clear any flooding.

I have done everything I can think of and the bike WILL NOT start.

I cannot even test to see if it would star ton electric cuz my battery is Dead as a dorenale and the only charger I have is a Marine\automotive charger 2AMP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Oh and I put in a brand new spark plug as well.

Thanks 🙂 soaked in sweat here and bruised foot = no fun.....

NoPlan

UPDATE: I found a fuse blown and replaced it, then replaced the battery with my street bikes battery, the engine now cranks with the battery and all lights work etc, but still will not start. Not with kick either. Cranks all day ...

Edited by No-Plan

It has sat for 2 weeks while I waited for parts.

When I crashed which casued me needing parts, the head lights and everything stopped working when I tried to twist my clutch switch together, so I reckon I shorted out something cuz my fuse was blown by the battery, I replaced that as stated above and got starter power back.

Now head lights and all electrical seems to work including my trail tech computer. and it cranks with the starter.

The fule is freshish, the key is on, the kill button not depressed.

I took the spark plug out of the hole and plugged it back into the coil(?) and cranked it, I know power was getting down the coil cuz it shocked me cuz I was stupid and was holding the metal part.

I grabbed the rubber part and tried again, and did not notice any obvious spark on the new plug I put in, so I put in the old plug just to rule that out and still nothing.

but it still cranks. and its gettin fule, I also dumped the fule in the bowls incase it was flooded still crank crank crank.

How do I check for spark on the plug?

EDIT: I also removed the clutch switch and plugged them into echother as per the forum walk throughs.

ok I took the spark plug out and grounded it to the frame and it sparked.

So I have spark.

Head lights work, trail tech works, spark works, starter works.

But it will not turn over, just crank crank crank crank crank crank with a very very slight thump thump (verrrry quiet) while it cranks. but never tries to start at all.

But I noticed after all this cranking, and kicking easly 2 hours of it, when I removed the new spark plug its still clean as a whistle, no black no nothing shiney metal.

btw oil is brand new, it was put in JUST before I started trying all this.

And finally, when I installed the trail tech computer I used the switched line on the key to power the trail tech, I soldered and everything so it should be ok, and if the switch was ruined the bike wouldn't even try to crank with the electric right? so that shouldn't be my problem I hope.

Edited by No-Plan

Took out the carbs, turned the fule and a fine spray came flying out, so at least I know it is working. ...

I'm plum outa ideas, this bike ran 100% fine started no questions asked before my crash.

Doesn't seem to be any plugged lines anywhere, electrical seems to work fine, sparks fine.....

sigh...

mine is sometimes the same once it's fired up from the starter i can kick it first time every time but when it's been stood a while it's very reluctant to start from the kicker. as eddie said make sure the ignition is on and i'm sure you might need a bit of juice in the battery still for it to fire up.

If you have spark you may have a fuel issue. Go to the gas station and buy one of those cans of spray to start an engine.

Remove your air filter door and spray this in the box and start immediately. If it starts a bit you have a fuel issue.

Another issue could be good fuel, good spark but bad compression. You can check compression a bit by putting your finger in the spark plug hole and crank.

You may also feel at the end of your exhaust. You may need someone elses DRZ to compare these pressures, because they can be very subjective. If you think you have low compression you can do a compression test at a shop with a meter.

Sounds like fuel to me. My Kicker starts real easy even if its been laid up for a few weeks, but I know you guys have more ethanol? in your fuel and its prone to clogging up the pilot jet. A couple of bucks gets you a new one and you know its not that problem.

Dan

Today going to try to get some fresh gas and see if thats the issue.

When I buy the engine start spray you said spray it into the box? do you take the air filter out as well or just spray it right onto the filter?

I don't think my pilot is bunged becuase when I took the carbs off and moved my throttle by hand it sprayed a fine strong squirt of fule out of the carb.

I cannot reach down to the bottom of the spark plug hole, lol even with my middle finger I cannot reach it, freakin deep this thing.

Thanks for advice, I will try the engine start stuff and some fresh fule and see what happens.

If you have spark you may have a fuel issue. Go to the gas station and buy one of those cans of spray to start an engine.

Remove your air filter door and spray this in the box and start immediately. If it starts a bit you have a fuel issue.

Another issue could be good fuel, good spark but bad compression. You can check compression a bit by putting your finger in the spark plug hole and crank.

You may also feel at the end of your exhaust. You may need someone elses DRZ to compare these pressures, because they can be very subjective. If you think you have low compression you can do a compression test at a shop with a meter.

When I buy the engine start spray you said spray it into the box? do you take the air filter out as well or just spray it right onto the filter?

Take the air filter out and spray directly into the throat. Give it a good spray, a couple seconds of spraying, and crank immediately.

I have made it work with the filter in the past. The sucking power of the piston should suck it right through it.

You may cover the complete plug hole with your flat hand. Should work.🙂

Update:

Went out and boughta n engine compression tool cuz I could not reach the hole to feel for pressure.

Yeh. so I have 30PSI of required 145PSI.....

Somthing is stuck open, not sure what. so taking it into the shop.. 🙂

Thanks for help everyone. learned a lot up till this point lol

The shop guys said they are going to do a leak test checking to see if it comes out the exhaust and also listed a few other places, It's kinda above my current knowledge base so it kinda flew over my head.

He said he has some ideas from everything I've explained to him. So here's hoping they find the issue,a nd here's hoping its a stupid easy issue I just over looked.!

Actually (live and learn lol) the battery wasn't dead.

I followed the wiring guide on the Faq walk through for the power mod (which I haven't done but will try later) and as I was checking all the connectors I decided to swap the fuse just for craps sake, and it started to crank.. so the battery wasn't dead. my fuse was... haha.

But eitherway it still won't start, will update when I get it back from teh shop as to what was causing it not to start.

• 4 weeks later...