Anyone get that feeling that riding is suppose to be "smooth" ?

The more I learn riding on the motocross tracks the more " in sync" I am with the bike.

Its odd , 6 months ago I was hanging on for dear life, getting the worse arm pump . Now, its almost like it feels like you're just "coasting" on the bike, as if you were driving a car. Feeling one with the bike.

I barely hang onto the handlebars anymore with anything more than 25% of full grip. My body doesnt go with the bike but where I want the bike to go, as in I lead with my body and the bike follows.

Is this what everyone else feels?

I see ALOT and I quote" ALOT" of people at the track bouncing everywhere, being very rough with the bike, slamming it. Don't get me wrong I still turn the throttle wide open but I see motocross as being very smooth and controlled.

Just my $0.02

Yeah thats true if you aren't "hanging it out there". I'm too old to NOT ride smooth. I get youngsters calling me smooth all the time. They are just being nice. They could be calling me old and slow.

Yeah my biggest thing I concentrate on before I go out on the track is being smooth and carrying momentum. I can ride for a long time at about 85% of my full pace like that.

The other weekend my bike was not making any power because the governor was not working but I rode anyway. Well the bike felt like a ttr125. I REALLY focused on the above and my friend said I was faster than the weekend before when my bike was working properly.

The biggest thing that helps me be smooth besides line choice is powering all the way through turns, riding from your core and gripping the bike hard with your legs. Lead with your upper body but stay very loose. I have a "bouncy" grip on the bars when I'm feeling real smooth and my shoulders are loose and let the bike do whatever it wants up and down front and back but my legs do not let it get sideways. I let the bike rock underneath me and then use my shoulders as second shock absorbers, or forks.

But yeah, just focus on letting the bike do it's thing but keeping it under control and carrying momentum.

Sometimes, I feel calm and relaxed and ride very smooth. I don't go quite as fast this way, but I last longer before I get tired, so I'm probably faster during later laps. Other times, when I'm feeling really aggressive, I go into turns hot, slam the brakes full on right at the entrance to the turn and heel the bike over, full power through and out of the turn and down the straight, to do it all over again at the next turn. I'm definitely faster this way, but I get tired quicker too, so I'm probably slower during later laps. Smooth is definitely the way to win races. But since I don't really race anymore and just ride for fun, I enjoy the aggressive approach more, better adrenaline rush. 🙂

i actually have tape on my cross bar pad, it says " gotta go fast to be smooth" and "leg up" lol also i have a humming bird feather under the pad. he got stuck in a spider web in the garage and i helped him, point being be fast and agile

I was always telling my kid he had to slow down to get faster, mainly paying attention to the basics. I'm proud that he's a smooth safe rider, over 4 years of riding and 1 small fracture (cast for 4 weeks). Here he is at County Line Mx in Florida having fun.

th_JakeCLMX7-20-10.jpg