cle Elum Motorized Trails

The thread by HH on the MVUM article in the Bellingham paper and my review of the Snoqualmie NF map caused me to revisit the Cle Elum RD website. I wanted a more usable format of the Cle Elum Ranger District Motorized Trails so I did some copy/paste to MS Word, then a bit of editing and I have a table of 49 motorized trails that can be sorted by name, number, difficulty, season, and/or mileage.

If want a copy PM me your email address. Here it is if you want to copy/paste:

Trail Name Number Rating Season Length Motorized

Upper Big Creek 1388.2 Difficult Summer-Fall 2.4 m Yes

Blazed Ridge 1333 Moderate Summer-Fall 4.6 m Yes

Blowout Mountain 1318 Moderate Summer-Fall 2.3 m Yes

Boulder-De Roux 1392 Difficult Summer-Fall 7.9 m Yes

Corral Creek 1340.1 Difficult Spring-Summer 3.4 m Yes

Domerie Peak 1308 Difficult Summer-Fall 9 m Yes

First Creek 1374 Difficult Summer-Fall 3.3 m Yes

Fishhook Flat 1378 Moderate Summer-Fall 4.2 m Yes

Frost Mountain 1366 Difficult Summer-Fall 3.7 m Yes

Gooseberry Flat 1227 Easy Summer-Fall 3.8 m Yes

Greek Creek Basin 1321.2 Difficult Summer-Fall 3.2 m Yes

Hereford Meadows 1207 Moderate Summer-Fall 3.8 m Yes

Hex Mountain 1343 Moderate Summer-Fall 1.5 m Yes

Howard Creek 1372 Easy Summer-Fall 5.2 m Yes

Hoyt 1347 Difficult Summer-Fall 3.5 m Yes

Iron Bear 1351 Moderate Spring-r-Fall 5.3 m Yes

Johnson Medra 1383 Difficult Summer-Fall 6 m Yes

Jolly Creek 1355 Difficult Summer-Fall 3.1 m Yes

Jolly Mountain 1307 Moderate Summer-Fall 6.2 m Yes

Jungle Creek 1383.1 Moderate Summer-Fall 4.5 m Yes

Keenan Meadow 1386 Easy Summer-Fall 3.1 m Yes

Lightning Point 1377.2 Difficult Summer-Fall 2.4 m Yes

Little Creek Basin 1334 Difficult Summer-Fall 4.7 m Yes

Manastash Lake 1350 Moderate Summer-Fall 4.4 m Yes

Manastash Ridge 1388 Moderate Summer-Fall 16.7 m Yes

Miller Peak 1379 Moderate Summer-Fall 4.6 m Yes

Mount Clifty 1321.1 Difficult Summer-Fall 1.7 m Yes

Mount Lillian 1601 Moderate Summer-Fall 1.7 m Yes

Naneum Creek 1381 Easy Summer-Fall 5.1 m Yes

Naneum Meadow 1389 Moderate Summer-Fall 3.4 m Yes

Naneum Rim 1234 Easy Summer-Fall 2 m Yes

Naneum-Wilson 1371 Moderate Summer-Fall 6.5 m Yes

North Ridge 1321 Moderate Summer-Fall 9.5 m Yes

Old Ellensburg 1373 Easy Summer-Fall 3.6 m Yes

Shoestring Lake 1385 Moderate Summer-Fall 3.6 m Yes

Table Mountain 1209 Moderate Summer-Fall 1.9 m Yes

North Fork Taneum 1377 Moderate Summer-Fall 15.7 m Yes

South Fork Taneum 1367 Difficult Summer-Fall 5.3 m Yes

Taneum Spur 1377.1 Moderate Summer-Fall 1.4 m Yes

Taneum Ridge 1363 Moderate Summer-Fall 12.1 m Yes

Middle Fork Teanaway 1393 Moderate Summer-Fall 12 m Yes

West Fork Teanaway 1353 Difficult Summer-Fall 9.6 m Yes

Tucker Creek 1341.1 Easy Spring-Fall 2.2 m Yes

Way Creek 1235 Difficult Summer-Fall 4.9 m Yes

Wilson Creek 1387 Easy Summer-Fall 2.8 m Yes

Yellow Hill 1222 Difficult Summer-Fall 7.4 m Yes

County Line 1226 Moderate Summer-Fall 6.2 m Yes -From Miller Pk. East to Blue Creek Road

Teanaway Ridge 1364 Moderate Summer-Fall 6.9 m Yes, but closed between Red Top Lookout Trail 1364.1 and Rd. 9738-111

Sasse Mountain 1340 Difficult Spring-Fall 9.0 m Yes, but only first 1.5 mi. to Hex jctn. open to motorized use.

• Like 1

Yes; but the Bellingham article in Harry's thread made me think it applied to all NFs so I checked the Cle Elum RD web site and couldn't find any thing except for the list of all trails with yes/no for hiker, mtn bike, motorized, etc. Because I like the area but haven't ridden there much during the past few years I wanted a current list of motorized trails and thought I would share the results.

I saw the same Bellingham article on the MVUM so I contacted the knowledgeable staff in Cle Elum ... and they've not heard anything of this. Likely either implementing forest by forest ... or there's interpretation going on. As it stands, I'm not carrying any different maps because of this rule until we get a lot clearer notice. I'm just gonna go out and enjoy those trails!

With the NOVA theft, the rangers will be lucky to find ORV tags right now, let alone maps ...

Edited by dilyb
spelled the forest name wrong!

It actually applies to all National Forests. The Okanagon-Wenatchee Forest is doing their Motorized Travel Management process and the MVUM is a small part of the process. We are losing Shetipo Trail in this process.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/okawen/travel-management/

Proposed Map for Mad River/Devils Backbone

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/okawen/travel-management/maps/proposed_act_wenriv_entiat_chelan.pdf

It actually applies to all National Forests. The Okanagon-Wenatchee Forest is doing their Motorized Travel Management process and the MVUM is a small part of the process. We are losing Shetipo Trail in this process.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/okawen/travel-management/

Proposed Map for Mad River/Devils Backbone

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/okawen/travel-management/maps/proposed_act_wenriv_entiat_chelan.pdf

Why are they closing Shetipo? It can't be the washout, that can be rerouted. I figure they just wanna keep that little up and back to themselves, and us out of the northern areas? Horse folk? ­čśĆ

The FS is closing SHepito to ORV's to turn the campground into a horse camp. Here is a linky to the "plan" for Cottonwood campground, http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558/abc123/forestservic.download.akamai.com/11558/www/nepa/38695_FSPLT1_020930.pdf The trails they propose to replace shepito with will be impassable to all but the most skilled riders who likely will tear the piss out of it right away, seriously steep with wicked sidehills. The Mrytle lake and Duncan are not slated to be closed under that plan but will be totally cut off from the Mad river system. Total BS. I sent in several comments during the comment phase of the travel planning process and sent the Entiat ranger a personal message. Kinda felt pointless. Just another reason to find a good area to ride in BC.

Edited by PBryant

Yes; but the Bellingham article in Harry's thread made me think it applied to all NFs so I checked the Cle Elum RD web site and couldn't find any thing except for the list of all trails with yes/no for hiker, mtn bike, motorized, etc. Because I like the area but haven't ridden there much during the past few years I wanted a current list of motorized trails and thought I would share the results.

Thanks for the list Chuck. I wanted to make sure on the Wentachee N.F. It sounds like they're in travel planning now so no stinking map req'd............ yet anyway. ­čśĆ

Do you know when they will be implementing this "Proposed Action"?

The FS is closing SHepito to ORV's to turn the campground into a horse camp. Here is a linky to the "plan" for Cottonwood campground, http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558/abc123/forestservic.download.akamai.com/11558/www/nepa/38695_FSPLT1_020930.pdf The trails they propose to replace shepito with will be impassable to all but the most skilled riders who likely will tear the piss out of it right away, seriously steep with wicked sidehills. The Mrytle lake and Duncan are not slated to be closed under that plan but will be totally cut off from the Mad river system. Total BS. I sent in several comments during the comment phase of the travel planning process and sent the Entiat ranger a personal message. Kinda felt pointless. Just another reason to find a good area to ride in BC.

Where do I sign up?

Thanks for the list Chuck. I wanted to make sure on the Wentachee N.F. It sounds like they're in travel planning now so no stinking map req'd............ yet anyway. ­čśĆ

Do you know when they will be implementing this "Proposed Action"?

The word is spring 2011

at the planning meetings last summer, they indicated that three trails (if I recall) are being closed, all in the Entiat/Mad River area. They also showed about a half dozen "new" trails being opened to motorized, mostly in the Taneum area, but in reality, those new trails are old abandoned roads that are being converted to trails, so that the net effect looked like we were gaining trail miles. The one positive effect was that in a couple of cases, it made for some legal loop options that weren't previously available..