83 yamaha xt 550 carb swap?

Ive been looking all over the place for carb kit for my 83 yamaha xt 550 and i just cant find one, my carb need a bunch of gaskets and an o ring for the jet, but i was wondering if i could just get a new carb to put on instead. anyone know of one that will fit?

thanks for the help

so heres the situation, i wasnt specific enough the first time around, i took the carb apart and cleaned it, there was a bunch of rust in it from the gas tank so i cleaned it, but didnt soak it in carb cleaner. blew all the valves and holes out with an air compressor, checked the main jet and there was a huge piece of rust from the tank under it, so i figured that was the problem. after i got it back together and on the bike, she starts, but hard. i have to kick it a lot and i need the choke on. then it starts and i gotta give her gas to keep it running all the while it is backfiring like hell. i messes around with the fuel to air ratio and got it to idle but, now she pukes gas randomly out the overflow valve. anyone know the correct turns of each screw on the carb??? why is it puking gas? could it be the float maybe. hmmmmmmm

every motor is a little different. sounds like the pilot jet might be obstructed. they are hard to clean, might need a new one. that's too bad because the stealer is proud of Teikei carb parts and i don't think other carb parts will interchange. With regard to the carb puking, it cdould be float level or float needle and seat. it's best to replace both. Good Luck!

I went through pretty much the same scenario with my '82.

I acid washed the tank, then used a pour-in liner with great results.

As for the carb, the YDLS carb that comes on this bike is known for being screwy, even when it's new and clean. The main on the secondary side tends to lose its prime while riding, causing nasty hesitation. I can't recall the source, but there is (was?) a manufacturer out there that makes a "Y" manifold, allowing you to run a simple single slide Mikuni. I bet with a little ingenuity one could make an FCR work too.

On my 550 this was the biggest single improvement I made to the bike, short of putting YZ suspension on it.

thanks, i already took care of the tank with the pour in liner and am going to look into what bore the manifolds are so i can get a two into one and possibly a mikuni, everyone i ask say that i should junk the old carb and get something dependable. other than the carb tho the bike is mint! new dunlop d606 front and rear, new seat, tank fixed, k&n air filter + so many OEM parts and screws, new grips, new bar pad, new battery, new clutch plates and springs, and casing gasket, even new oil and filter and fuel lines and filter. but no worries ill get her running soon.