XR 650R coolant temp

I crashed and smashed my OEM right side radiator and decided to pony up and get the oversize fuildyne radiators , and noticed that my coolant temps are running fairly high , Now I never actually measured the temps prior to installing the over sized rads but while I dual sport to work and normally run a 15/45 set up , she is running around 210 Degrees and if I stop at a light forget it pushing 230 degrees until I can get going again , now I have noticed that the bigger rads are longer and that puts the return hose to the water pump 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the header pipe , could this cause the coolant preheating? , regardless I have bought some heater hose that has a preformed bend in it that will keep it farther away from the header a bit more and I will see how that works, just thought I would run it by the EXPERTS TT

The XRR always overheats quickly if you sit and idle, sometimes if its hot enough in a minute or two. The O.S radiators won't keep the temp down, your only option is to throw some fans on them.

The hose close to the header won't be an issue, unless it starts to melt. The coolant is flowing, no way it could pick up enough heat in that tiny spot to change anything.

Iv'e always wrapped my headers to keep heat out of the hose and radiator area. It seemed to of helped a little,but i have a full pipe system that's thinner than stock.

It also helps to have it jetted just a LITTLE rich.

And...Iv'e installed a SPAL fan for when i have to sit at lights for too long.

• 5 weeks later...
A well tuned XR will never overheat at traffic lights,you're probably a scratch lean or your temp gauge is on the fritz.

Maybe not in Alaska in winter! but in temps of 25degC+, 3-4 mins stuck at the lights or in heavy traffic will have it boiling. This has been said before but in this situation the XR is a fish-out-of-water, not designed and never intended for such use. A fan is the answer.

Maybe not in Alaska in winter! but in temps of 25degC+, 3-4 mins stuck at the lights or in heavy traffic will have it boiling. This has been said before but in this situation the XR is a fish-out-of-water, not designed and never intended for such use. A fan is the answer.

25°C is lower than the average indoor temperature of my house in the summer. :banana: You're right, though; a fan is about the only answer to allow for long periods of running at little or no road speed.

Larger radiators will buy some time before boil over due to the increased water capacity. Jetting a touch on the rich side will make it run slightly cooler. A higher pressure cap will cause boil over to happen at a higher temperature. Reflective foil heat wrap on hoses near the header might help too.

Mate i ride in the desert in Australia in summer,without a thermostat and she don't boil over at all.

A fan is a band aid solution for people with no clue.

Mate i ride in the desert in Australia in summer,without a thermostat and she don't boil over at all.

Removing the stat in the UK is :banana: The bike would take too long warm up in Winter and would be over-cooled at speed. Removing the stat in a bike designed to run with one is far more 'band aid' then the fan option, especially when there are what appear to be fan mounting brackets on the RH rad. JMO

If that were true, every liquid cooled street bike in the world is factory made with a Band-Aid. I guess I'd need to add all automobiles to that list too.

Dirt bikes are not made to sit still with the engine running, if they do, they need a fan. Air has to move through the radiator/s to remove enough heat from the coolant. That is done by moving the bike foward or by a fan if no foward motion.

Hes got a point, its only a mere what 45C in the shade, let alone the sun :banana:

While these point may be correct, you don't have many traffic lights in the desert causing you to stop for a couple of minutes with the motor running waiting for the lights to change. The riding terrain is more open allowing for higher speeds and airflow through the radiators, and that is why you don't have a problem with cooling.

Do not discount the point made by Wesckc35k that the bike may not be set up properly.

I can't say that I have ever had a problem with the cooling system but I loath riding in the summer in the bush, too much hard work riding in 40 degC heat.

Removing the stat in the UK is :banana: The bike would take too long warm up in Winter and would be over-cooled at speed. Removing the stat in a bike designed to run with one is far more 'band aid' then the fan option, especially when there are what appear to be fan mounting brackets on the RH rad. JMO

Team Honda removed the thermostats from their bikes,so band aid i don't think so,it's what any serious dirt rider/racer does..

Also between traffic lights a bike gets air to the rads.Mines registered and it don't need a thermo between lights.Never boiled at lights in Brisbane in summer,so close but no cigar.Rock beds and stuff in the middle of summer it don't boil either.

The rads have some tabs on them because they're parts bin rads from an agricultural quad,so epic fail again.

Again if it overheats at lights it's jetted upside down and it's your fault..

Team Honda removed the thermostats from their bikes,so band aid i don't think so,it's what any serious dirt rider/racer does..

Also between traffic lights a bike gets air to the rads.Mines registered and it don't need a thermo between lights.Never boiled at lights in Brisbane in summer,so close but no cigar.Rock beds and stuff in the middle of summer it don't boil either.

The rads have some tabs on them because they're parts bin rads from an agricultural quad,so epic fail again.

Again if it overheats at lights it's jetted upside down and it's your fault..

Again you're missing the point my friend. race and road = chalk and cheese. Don't suppose Team Honda are all that bothered about cold starts or warm up on winter mornings.

My bike starts, idles and runs fine so I aint about to start screwing around with the jetting in the mistaken belief it will cure an unrelated problem .JMO

So you have rads from a quad! I smell a band aid!! So fitting a fan is 'band aid' but fitting rads from a farm vehicle isnn't....Yeah right! Both options will increase cooling capacity.Maybe we should just call them 'upgrades' :banana:🤣

So what temp is considered overheating? I just installed a Trailtech Vapor and while moving my temp is rock solid at ~177 F. However, my bike got warm on me the other day while riding though town hitting several lights and slow traffic. With a 97F ambient temp my Vapor maxed at like 247F. Once I got moving for good it settled back down quick.

weskc35k,

You're telling me that if you sat your XR650R outside in 97F heat and let it idle for an hour it would never overheat? While I agree jetting can be an issue I think it's pretty simple why 99% of water cooled engines have a fan on the radiator.