Overfilling oil

I had ~2.25 liters of oil and I accidental filled the bike with all of it. It now reads about an inch over the "full" line of the oil level guage...

So should I drain out a little to get it within "range" or just ride it.

Note: I follow correct procedure for checking level using the dip stick 3 min on 3 min off and do not screw in the dip stick.

Thanks

I had ~2.25 liters of oil and I accidental filled the bike with all of it. It now reads about an inch over the "full" line of the oil level guage...

So should I drain out a little to get it within "range" or just ride it.

Note: I follow correct procedure for checking level using the dip stick 3 min on 3 min off and do not screw in the dip stick.

Thanks

If its excessively full it will start blowing lots of blue smoke out the exhaust...

Your engine will feed the excess oil to your intake via your engine breather pipe...

If its not blowing smoke ,it won't be a problem...

Next time measure out the correct amount..I find I am putting in 1.9L(1900ml) to fill it to the upper level on the dipstick...

Edited by CraigoDRZ400sm

+1 Drain it! Too much Oil can be just as or even more damaging than not enough. By running the oil level too high you can cause the oil to foam up and get aerated this causes a loss of lubrication. I have seen this happen, not in a bike but in a V-8.

+1 Drain it! Too much Oil can be just as or even more damaging than not enough. By running the oil level too high you can cause the oil to foam up and get aerated this causes a loss of lubrication. I have seen this happen, not in a bike but in a V-8.

Not going to happen on a dry sump motor like the DRZ (or a V8 with a dry sump oil system)

Nor is it going to ruin seals, wreck the motor or anything like that.

If you overfill it to the point the frame tank is full .. you will get oil in the air box.. the bike will smoke, run like crap,, and maybe foul a plug.. but it'll run so bad you be looking for why not riding it.

All that said,, don't over fill it by much... 2 liters is not an issue.. more then that? I'm sure some additional amount would also be ok.. but why..

If its excessively full it will start blowing lots of blue smoke out the exhaust...

Your engine will feed the excess oil to your intake via your engine breather pipe...

If its not blowing smoke ,it won't be a problem...

Next time measure out the correct amount..I find I am putting in 1.9L to fill it to the upper level on the dipstick...

Lol ive seen that happen , was following a buddy who did this , i had to stop the smoke screen was so thick 🙂

Lol ive seen that happen , was following a buddy who did this , i had to stop the smoke screen was so thick :banana:

Yeah..I learnt this from experience...

Back in 1978 I had a New Yamaha XT500 with my 1st dry sump...

I didn't read the owners manual and just filled it to the upper mark on the stick when cold.....It blew so much smoke I thought I f**ked the engine..🙂