Dual Sport Kits

I don't know how many people have turned XR's into daily drivers but I was wondering if anyone has used Dual Sport Technologies. They seem like a solid brand and just want to know if anyone could recommend them. They sell a great cheap kit for minimalist. Awesome stuff.

However I was just wondering how to title a dirt bike that has never had a title. The BMV told me that I needed to take the original title owner to court... even after I said that there never was one. Retarded. But oh well. Just hoping someone can help. Thanks everyone.

Your bike has a standard VIN so there is nothing in that regard that would make it difficult to title; licensing it maybe, but in theory titling should be no problem. That is if you have the proper paperwork. This all varies state to state so I would do some digging on your state's BMV website. It's possible that a title was never issued for your bike as some states optionally title OHVs and some states don't do it at all. However, all vehicles come with a manufacturer's certificate of origin or MCO. This is a fancy looking piece of paper that comes with the bike(or any other new vehicle) and says who made it, what type of vehicle it is, what type of engine it has, etc; most importantly it also has the VIN. If the bike is titled then the buyer never gets the MCO, it goes to the state and the buyer gets a title. If the original owner opts to not title the bike or the state won't do it then the buyer would take the MCO home and probably lose it within five years.

Have you owned the bike since new or have you only had it for a short time? If someone else owned it before you then there is a possibility that it was titled in another state and that the title was never transfered. If that's the case you could file for a lost title in whatever state that happens to be in. It might also be possible to ask Honda where the bike was originally imported into the US; although that seems like a long shot. If you bought it from someone I would talk to them first but if that gets you nowhere I would call the BMV or state police and ask them to run the VIN to see if it shows up in the system. If that fails I would do the same with your surrounding states.

I know this sounds like a lot of work but if you are serious about using this particular bike on the road you will have to get some sort of official paperwork. The other option is to buy another bike that needs a lot of work but happens to have a title and just swap parts onto the titled frame.

Keep in mind there is always a possiblity that the bike was stolen at some point in the last 24 years so you have to be prepared for that possibilty which would lead you to forfeit the bike.

I just noticed your bike is older than you so you obviously aren't the original owner but I don't know if the bike came from your family or what, but all the same stuff would apply to finding the original paperwork.

The bike has had three owners including myself. The guy that had it before me bought it off a buddy from high school. I think he went to high school in Indiana but I am not positive. It was either here or Ohio. I'll check that. Can I go to a dealer and try to get the piece of paper you were speaking of proving it was made? Ran the vin at the BMV, would it pop up stolen there? It'd be awesome if the bike was stolen. I'd be real pissed off.

You don't need any kind of paperwork. you get it ready (kit on) and have a cop inspect it and he fills out a form that you take to BMV to get a plate and title.'

you can also haul the bike to the BMV and they will inspect it.

They will take the VIN or whatever comparable number exists.

The end.

(Indiana)

Your bike has a standard VIN so there is nothing in that regard that would make it difficult to title; licensing it maybe, but in theory titling should be no problem. That is if you have the proper paperwork. This all varies state to state so I would do some digging on your state's BMV website. It's possible that a title was never issued for your bike as some states optionally title OHVs and some states don't do it at all. However, all vehicles come with a manufacturer's certificate of origin or MCO. This is a fancy looking piece of paper that comes with the bike(or any other new vehicle) and says who made it, what type of vehicle it is, what type of engine it has, etc; most importantly it also has the VIN. If the bike is titled then the buyer never gets the MCO, it goes to the state and the buyer gets a title. If the original owner opts to not title the bike or the state won't do it then the buyer would take the MCO home and probably lose it within five years.

Have you owned the bike since new or have you only had it for a short time? If someone else owned it before you then there is a possibility that it was titled in another state and that the title was never transfered. If that's the case you could file for a lost title in whatever state that happens to be in. It might also be possible to ask Honda where the bike was originally imported into the US; although that seems like a long shot. If you bought it from someone I would talk to them first but if that gets you nowhere I would call the BMV or state police and ask them to run the VIN to see if it shows up in the system. If that fails I would do the same with your surrounding states.

I know this sounds like a lot of work but if you are serious about using this particular bike on the road you will have to get some sort of official paperwork. The other option is to buy another bike that needs a lot of work but happens to have a title and just swap parts onto the titled frame.

Keep in mind there is always a possiblity that the bike was stolen at some point in the last 24 years so you have to be prepared for that possibilty which would lead you to forfeit the bike.

I just noticed your bike is older than you so you obviously aren't the original owner but I don't know if the bike came from your family or what, but all the same stuff would apply to finding the original paperwork.

That's state specific advice though.

Indiana doesn't require any of that.

Just an inspection that it's up to standards now.

That's state specific advice though.

Indiana doesn't require any of that.

Just an inspection that it's up to standards now.

Indiana actually does require a MCO if you are getting a title for the first time. Even though the bike is 24 years old, if it has never been titled it is considered new. From the Indiana state BMV:

For newly-manufactured vehicles:

Application for Certificate of Title - State Form 205

Properly assigned Certificate of Origin

Conforming Odometer Statement, generally found on the Certificate of Origin

Proof of sales tax paid (State Form 48842, also known as ST-108, provided by the dealership)

https://myweb.in.gov/BMV/mybmvportal/Titles/TitlingAVehicle.aspx

The bike has had three owners including myself. The guy that had it before me bought it off a buddy from high school. I think he went to high school in Indiana but I am not positive. It was either here or Ohio. I'll check that. Can I go to a dealer and try to get the piece of paper you were speaking of proving it was made? Ran the vin at the BMV, would it pop up stolen there? It'd be awesome if the bike was stolen. I'd be real pissed off.

Oregon has been known to transfer titles of vehicles that have been reported as stolen to the state police. Oregon's DMV does not check if a vehicle is stolen when they transfer titles, your state may be different.

Alright, so I can get the MCO from ANY Honda dealer? Or just the one it was purchased from? Haven't got a clue where it was purchased. However on my next day off I can pop down to the local dealer and see what they can do if it can be had from any dealer. If not, guess I'll sell and get a 400 or 600 then that's newer and hopefully with a title or easier to get one. Need to call the BMV as well and see what they say to do.

And by the way, the tusk kit looks cool. But the battery that it comes with doesn't actually charge via the wiring harness. And that pisses me off. I would much rather have a kit that is charged by the bike instead of the wall because what happens when you get stuck out at night with no lights. Just an oh shit moment or what? It can be wired up though, just a pain in the butt. The site I listed makes an XR specific kit. So it might work for my bike.

You might look into going for a 'homemade' or 'rebuilt' title. You may have to fudge some paperwork, but it may be worth looking into.

My dad has an 1986 XR250 as well. I'm curious to see what you get figured out. If it's not too terribly difficult, I will push him to get his done as well.

I don't know how many people have turned XR's into daily drivers but I was wondering if anyone has used Dual Sport Technologies. They seem like a solid brand and just want to know if anyone could recommend them. They sell a great cheap kit for minimalist. Awesome stuff.

However I was just wondering how to title a dirt bike that has never had a title. The BMV told me that I needed to take the original title owner to court... even after I said that there never was one. Retarded. But oh well. Just hoping someone can help. Thanks everyone.

I just went through all this myself. I could tell you how I did it but I live in Michigan so I doubt it would be the same. I had to get just a regular orv title 1st. Once I had that it was smooth sailing to get it tagged and street legal. Michigan has a form you can fill out if your bike is over 6 years old and worth less than $2500. You basically fill it out with just your name, VIN # and what the approx. value is. They run a check on the VIN and if it's clear you get a title in a week. The first time I called about this I was told it couldnt be done without a sureity bond ($$$). Just keep looking and reading online and you might find a loophole to use. Or, if you know someone in Michigan have them apply for a title like I described above, then they just sign it over to you and you get it in your name in your state. You might get hit with some sales tax when you do but it would be worth it to avoid the hassle. Good luck!!!

I also got the DST minimalist kit. It works well but isnt exactly "plug and play" like advertised. The wiring harness has a headlight boot on it that doesnt fit anything. Just cut it off and replace it with your stock one. You'll have to do some exacto knife surgery but its not too bad. The led tail light had the wrong style of connectors on it also so I had to swap them out. Just take your time and dont do anything you cant "undo". Like hack off all your stock connectors. It took a while but it works well.

Alright, so I can get the MCO from ANY Honda dealer? Or just the one it was purchased from? Haven't got a clue where it was purchased. However on my next day off I can pop down to the local dealer and see what they can do if it can be had from any dealer. If not, guess I'll sell and get a 400 or 600 then that's newer and hopefully with a title or easier to get one. Need to call the BMV as well and see what they say to do.

And by the way, the tusk kit looks cool. But the battery that it comes with doesn't actually charge via the wiring harness. And that pisses me off. I would much rather have a kit that is charged by the bike instead of the wall because what happens when you get stuck out at night with no lights. Just an oh shit moment or what? It can be wired up though, just a pain in the butt. The site I listed makes an XR specific kit. So it might work for my bike.

The lights work as long as the motor is running. It doesn't charge the battery, but the batter isn't running the lights either. The state requirement is that you have lights for 10 minutes with the motor off.

Yeah I know the requirements for that and quite frankly I think it's stupid that they should run for 10 minutes. Who in the hell comes up with that. I think some people sat in a room and said "let's see how hard we can make this, and see if it discourages some." The tusk is great for that. My issue with it is that my headlight has only one beam. So the Dual Sport America appeals to me. I'd like to make my own buying parts on my own and a manual from some company that has done it or tells you how. I'm a little worried to tear into my harness with only a little experience.

Thanks Michigan, I'll probably give the DST kit a shot. Knew it wouldn't be plug and play, haha. Too good to be true as always. Could you tell me how the light bulb works? What year XR have you got?

Yeah I know the requirements for that and quite frankly I think it's stupid that they should run for 10 minutes. Who in the hell comes up with that. I think some people sat in a room and said "let's see how hard we can make this, and see if it discourages some." The tusk is great for that. My issue with it is that my headlight has only one beam. So the Dual Sport America appeals to me. I'd like to make my own buying parts on my own and a manual from some company that has done it or tells you how. I'm a little worried to tear into my harness with only a little experience.

Thanks Michigan, I'll probably give the DST kit a shot. Knew it wouldn't be plug and play, haha. Too good to be true as always. Could you tell me how the light bulb works? What year XR have you got?

I have an 03 400. They give you a dual filiment PIAA bulb (dont touch the bulb!! Just the base) and the wiring harness is already attached to the handlebar switch and horn. You unplug the stock headlight and then plug the new harness into power (where stock light was plugged in) swap out the bulb and thats it. Take a close look first and make sure the rubber boot on the new harness will slide up to the light and not leave anything exposed. I had to cut it off and carefully get my stock one on there so the socket wasnt showing.

Its not too bad. Just take your time and dont be in a hurry. Have tape, zip ties and some extra connectors laying around just in case. I worked on mine for about 3 - 4 days in the evening. Of course I was also having some adult beverages and playing on the computer at the same time ­čśĆ. I probably only had about 2 hours of actual "work" to do it and thats just because I was being extra cautious. I had never done any electrical stuff on a bike before either so I was trying out different paths to route the wires etc.. I'll post some pics in my garage later tonight.

That would be much appreciated. Doesn't sound like it will be too bad. I'm going to stock up on some connectors when I get the bike titles and also get a cheap heat gun and some shrink wrap as well as some tape. Just to make sure that it is a decent job for if I need to sell it ever. Not planning to now though, hoping my girlfriend might end up driving it around eventually and I will get a 400 or 600. I will certainly be taking my time as well.

As for the title I finally got a hold of the BMV, they are bastards to get a hold of. All I need to a VIN inspection and a Bill of Sale and it doesn't need to be notarized. Sounds simple enough. Just need to print off something so that the police can make sure it wasn't stolen. Not sure how all that works yet but it's on the site. Believe that someone wanted to know how to do it Indiana. It's about that simple. Just get that done, and then take it to the BMV. If you need a bill of sale, sell it to your dad or brother or make a bill of sale that says they sold it to you.

Michigan looking forward to some pictures. Still a little worried about spending that much money on a kit. I would like your honest opinion. Should I buy the DST, make my own, or buy the one from tusk. I'll post a link to the tusk so you can look at it. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?allVehParts=true&navType=type&webTypeId=193&navTitle=Electrical&webCatId=20&prodFamilyId=26724

Also with the DST kit did you just get the turn signal kit or no? We need it in Indiana, makes it like a 329.00 dollar kit. Plus tires, speedo, and whatever else is needed. I don't want to rewind the stator at all, seems like a giant pain in the ass.

The first time you take it down the road, legally, all the BS will have been worth it. I'm kicking myself now for not doing it the instant I got the bike. ­čśĆ

I'm at work now but I just sent myself a reminder email to post up those pics for ya.

The DST kit I got did not have signals, dont need them in MI. The DST kit just fit my needs the best. Why pay for signals, battery, flashers etc. if I dont need them. Install wasnt hard and so far I have had no issues with anything, works very well. I dont know if I would have got the DST kit if I did have to add signals also. If I had to add signals, I would have went with the procycle kit myself (link below). That Tusk kit looks nice also but I didnt see anything that would give you a high/low beam headlight, and I'm not sure if you need it, but a high beam indicator light on the bar switch. That might be the tricky part with that one. Make sure you know the exact state minimum requirements before you order anything.

Procycle kit complete universal kit, no battery required, all AC power (unless you want led signals/tail light that need a battery) for $309.00. They offer these kits in various combos so look at all of them and see whats best for you.

http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm

I have looked at the procycle kit and it doesn't look too bad. I've been there before. To be honest though what appealed to me the most about the other kit was that you could keep the stock headlight. I like the stocker better than any other headlight. But the polisport isn't too bad either. There is a polisport that has a running light. Kinda nice. Might look into the procycle a little bit more and might call DST to get more info, e-mailed them but they skirted my questions and answered the 3 questions that I asked with a single sentence that didn't actually answer any of them. Not real pleased with that.

Indiana requires a 10 minute lights on policy for bikes that are off. I'm still trying to figure out what to do there. But DST says they can wire it up for that to pass the test but it won't be permanent. I like that idea. Don't want it to be stick like that. When the police come to look at my bike to do the vin check I'm going to get the check list so that I can do all of that crap to the bike.

Going to try and get my mom to do the vin check for me so might have the title soon. Then I start worrying about all that stuff. Bike isn't with me.

The Thumpertalk store has the Baja Designs kit for around $450, and it's the best dual sport kit available. That's the route I went with on my XR250R. It has the battery, signals, handlebar switch, horn, etc. Plus, it wires up easily. I had just signed up for TT, and they sent me a 10% off coupon code that was good for 30 days. Plus, over $100 was free shipping. So, I got the nice kit for around $400 shipped, plus wide footpegs, and a few other items at great prices. You might want to check it out.

Here are some pics with the kit installed.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9391181&highlight=#post9391181

Good Luck!