Need advice for moving up 250 or 250 or 450

Hi, so to start in 5*7 125 no gear bout 140 with i currently ride a yz 125 and have for bout 3 years

i ride mainly motocross but not serious into racing or anything but am still competitive and like to ride hard.

I would like to be able to clear everything on the track and have a fun smooth ride. Right now i fell my 125 dosent have the power to clear the jumps and such.. im aware its rider skill but im also pretty convinced the bike helps.

So lets say i wanna get a newish bike so money is not that big of a deal, im thinking about a 250 4 or 450 4 or 250 2

reasons for a 450:

my bro just got a 450 4 and i love the instant and huge power behind it yet it is a beast and im not sure if i can handle and be as fast as i want to.but i do love the power behind it.

reasons for a 250

its got the pull of a 4 stroke in a lighter frame. my concerns is that i will want more power to soon. and not have the power to clear everything.

and the old fav a 250 2

not my first choice but a option...

all help is appreciated 🙂 thanks guys

Well, if you are actually moving up in bike size, I wouldn't go with a 250f, that is more of a lateral move. I would either get the 250 2t or a 450. A 250 2t makes way more power and torque than a 250f and will only be slightly below that of a 450. You already know how to ride a 2 stroke, so you wouldn't be giving anything up by jumping to a 250 2t. But, if you are looking for a smooth, easier kind of ride, then jump on a 4t and rip it up.

I would say go with the 250 2t because it is lighter than a 450 and they handle better getting into ruts that is what I have heard. Also a 250 2t is alot cheaper to work on also they run great and have alot of torque and power. I could see why you would want a 450 because of the instant power and you can lug it more but I also could see why you wouldn't won't one either because they are more expensive and they are heavier and harder to work on.

Edited by onefasthonda
missed up

ok, but see cost and maintenance are not a huge issue so lets say its between the 250 and 450 4.

and as Davis said a 250f is more lateral but i know guys that haul ass on a 250f way faster than me on my 125 so im stumped

do you know any friends that have say,, a yz250f? you like the power and instant hit of a thumper but you think its too heavy for you and it has a little too much power.

the 250 thumpers have that same instant hit and power only its not as much and its lighter.

a 250 smoker is even lighter, easyER to maintain, you already know how to work a 2t and you will be able to rip on it.

i think it really comes down to a 250f or a 250.

my advice is to test both bikes out before getting your heart set one one or the other.

A 250f is not a lateral move from a 125.

Better down low power and it is easier to ride compared to a 125.

JMO.

I would see if you can find anyone to let you ride their bike for a couple of laps.

I went from a 250 2stroke/250f to a 450 after talking to some riders and they allowed me to ride their bike for a couple of laps.

A 250f is not a lateral move from a 125.

Better down low power and it is easier to ride compared to a 125.

see that what im thinking , and on the other hand i dont want to get bored and loose more money in a year.but i also dont want a huge 450 that i cant have fun on.

illl try and get someone to lend me a 250f and try it out thank

ok, but see cost and maintenance are not a huge issue so lets say its between the 250 and 450 4.

and as Davis said a 250f is more lateral but i know guys that haul ass on a 250f way faster than me on my 125 so im stumped

That is because it is a lot easier to go fast on a 250f. For a 125 to go as fast, the rider has to be able to make it go that fast.

if u already have a 125 smoker i suggest a 250smoker or a 450 the 250f will be to slow u will like the low end power but it wont be fun when u freind on the 450 are roosting you but if ur just getting a diffrernt bike just to clear the jumps try pining ur 125 3rd gear of the lip and u will clear most jumps on the 125 smoker