1st time buying bike from stealership *Tips*

Exactly what the title says.....planning on getting a Yamaha wr250x

What is the protocol when I end up sitting down. I figure the salesman gives me his price and I give him mine, we haggle, then he runs my credit, then we settle and I bring home the bike ::I know there is a lot of missing details::

1) can anybody break it down for me (what is above is just my guess)

2) Tips please.... Ie: never pay for freight or prep charge.

3) Are there any unwritten rules like...if MSRP is 'blank' then you subtract 'blank' to get your OTD price.

thanks

Since you live in CA why even hassle with a high priced bike to start, with extra charges on top of that. Check out OTDcycle. Save your self the hagleing. There is a lot of money to save doing your shopping. I've bought most of my bikes from OTD all though a couple of bikes I bought either matched their price or or was willing to bargin. They can be beat from time to time but it's hard to beat em. I just can't believe the prices at other dealerships. Otd is normally MSRP only out the door. No frieght ,handleing or prep.

Sounds like you want to finance. You can apply online at your brand of choice and saves you the trouble and time at the dealer. You call Otd tell them what bike you want and it will be ready when you get there. You'll be out of there in a half hour and feel good about it.They will all so give you 10 percent off apparall if you push it.

Trust me.

If you get a loan thru the dealer, they jack up your interest rate just a bit and they make the money from that. I would find your own creditor, like a credit union, they usually have the best rate.

This applys for new vehicles also!!

If you can find a dealer that will match any competitors price, that is a bonus. I found a dealer about 6 hours away with some blow out prices on the internet. I had them fax me the otd price sheet with the details. I used that as leverage and the dealer that was close to me matched the price because I told them "I am going to buy a new bike, do you want me to buy it from you or them." They honored the price match and it worked out great.

If you finance through them, don't buy any extra warranty or insurance. If you can get the bike in the crate, do it. It's easy to put together, and you get to do a once-over yourself to make sure it's prepped properly.

For negociations, if they say they can't go lower, they still can. Take their "as low as I can go" price, and offer a few hundred less. Don't be afraid to walk away and come back later.

If you finance through them, don't buy any extra warranty or insurance. If you can get the bike in the crate, do it. It's easy to put together, and you get to do a once-over yourself to make sure it's prepped properly.

For negociations, if they say they can't go lower, they still can. Take their "as low as I can go" price, and offer a few hundred less. Don't be afraid to walk away and come back later.

Most dealerships will not allow the crate purchase to happen anymore. "We will lose a our license." Is mainly what you'll hear.

My father taught me to shop around, find out what the other prices for the same bikes are for.

Then, write a check for the amount you want to spend on the bike....

Go into the dealer and say I'll offer this exact amount OTD for this bike, take it or leave it.

Walk into 3-4 shops atleast one will take it.

No hassling, no arguing, no bartering. Just quick and easy.

Btw, I buy all my parts online, they're 100x cheaper. Plus I do all the labor work myself so the only thing I ever need from a dealership are the brand new bikes.

First, don't finance at the dealer-talk to your local bank or credit union, and have financing approval in place prior to even going shopping. Doesn't hurt to ask what their rates are, but you'll find you'll get a better deal from the bank than the dealer in 99% of cases.

When you're talking price, the only number that matters is what you have to write the check for-they can say the purchase price is $4k and the prep fee is $1k for all it matters, but $5k is still $5k. If they want to talk sales price then add in for this, that, the other, tell them to quit wasting your time and give you the real number you need to write on the check.

Ask them if they're actually going to prep the bike (grease linkage, swingarm, steering stem bearings, torque spokes, double check fasteners, jet it properly) or just going to bolt on the bars and front tire. I love the stammer-stutter that occurs when you call them on this one. 🙂

Call every dealer within 200 miles and ask what their grand total, out the door price is for the bike you want. If you're going to travel any distance, make the salesman fax over a purchase agreement in writing, and when you are calling around, ask for the FULL NAME of who you are talking to, and document, document, document. Every phone contact, date, time, who you talked to and what you discussed.

First, don't finance at the dealer-talk to your local bank or credit union, and have financing approval in place prior to even going shopping. Doesn't hurt to ask what their rates are, but you'll find you'll get a better deal from the bank than the dealer in 99% of cases.

When you're talking price, the only number that matters is what you have to write the check for-they can say the purchase price is $4k and the prep fee is $1k for all it matters, but $5k is still $5k. If they want to talk sales price then add in for this, that, the other, tell them to quit wasting your time and give you the real number you need to write on the check.

Ask them if they're actually going to prep the bike (grease linkage, swingarm, steering stem bearings, torque spokes, double check fasteners, jet it properly) or just going to bolt on the bars and front tire. I love the stammer-stutter that occurs when you call them on this one. 🙂

Call every dealer within 200 miles and ask what their grand total, out the door price is for the bike you want. If you're going to travel any distance, make the salesman fax over a purchase agreement in writing, and when you are calling around, ask for the FULL NAME of who you are talking to, and document, document, document. Every phone contact, date, time, who you talked to and what you discussed.

+1 on everything here except the financing. Check out Yamaha's site they may have some special financing available. Usually only short term though. I bought my last two yamahas on 2 year plans with little or no interest. If you are going to do a longer loan best to secure your own financing with your bank.

Who finances a dirt bike?!

I'll never understand that..

A buddy of mine financed his 09 KLX, if he pays minimum payments it'll never be paid off.. He's probably going to end up paying about $8 or $9k for that thing..

Better off getting used anyway, let the first owner take the depreciation. Or you can buy new, pay top dollar for a bike, and the second you drive it home it's worth $3k less. 🙂

Who finances a dirt bike?! I'll never understand that..

Better off getting used anyway, let the first owner take the depreciation. Or you can buy new, pay top dollar for a bike, and the second you drive it home it's worth $3k less. :banana:

🙂 Pay cash for a good condition 2-3 years old bike and you drive home with a bike you would have payed double for new....

let's say you've committed yourself to a brand new bike from a dealer

only talk TOTAL price, including tags, prep, etc.

be prepared to walk out... do NOT illustrate how much you love the bike... it is a business decision for you. "I have $xxxxx to spend on a bike, EVERYTHING included... will you take it for the cxyrz?".. If they say "no", you give them your number, and say, talk to the sales manager, and call me when you change your mind. They have quotas to meet, to keep the bosses happy. If they are having a strong week, they MAY have met their quota... going ABOVE the quota, just means the bosses raise the quota for next quarter/year whatever... get a slow week for them, and they may call you. Like I said... leave your passion for the bike in the car... this is a business decision. don't get worked up, or pissed off that they won't negotiate. It's a business decision for them too. They'll hose you as much as they can, to get the most money out of your pocket... you want to keep as much of it as you can.

That being said... buying last years used bike makes a lot of sense... if it's tight and clean, you'll save a LOT

financing- financing toys doesn't make a lot of sense in todays economy (which is why used bikes are pretty cheap right now... economy is even hitting people with good jobs; I am trying to build up my accounts, in case the bottom falls out even more)

good luck on your bike

I know a lot of people say not to pay prep and freight charges, but when I bought an ATV new a couple years ago not one place would budge on those charges. They insisted they had to charge them. I have now learned of two dealerships in TN that don't charge them.

Who finances a dirt bike?!

I'll never understand that..

A buddy of mine financed his 09 KLX, if he pays minimum payments it'll never be paid off.. He's probably going to end up paying about $8 or $9k for that thing..

Better off getting used anyway, let the first owner take the depreciation. Or you can buy new, pay top dollar for a bike, and the second you drive it home it's worth $3k less. 🙂

Bottom line is if you want a dirt bike, or any bike for that matter, and you have no savings to buy one, and dont foresee coming up with the cash, you have two options, dont buy one, and sit around and watch your buddys go riding while you sit at home, or finance one, we all know how we get bike fever. now weather you should buy one or not, it not for us to say , every one has to make their own decisions.

And as long as your credit is good, buying a bike on payments is not like buying something on a credit card and paying minimum payments, it will be paid off per your term, but I agree, I think I'm done buying new bikes, you can get much better deals on used bikes. now I have to remember I said that when I go and buy me a new Beta 450RS, damm bike fever! oh and yes, I'd probably have to finance half of it.

If your going to buy new, OTD has the 09's for $6299 OTD in LA and a couple hundred more in Auburn, now you can just go buy it there, or call another dealer and tell them your heading out to OTD to buy it, but I'd rather do business with you, can you beet the price?

I've bought several bikes through OTD, and it's a 4 hours away from me, but no one comes close to their prices in the central valley, I wouldn't drive to LA for a few hundred dollars, and I would prefer to keep my money local and support my local dealership, but when your talking over a grand? and it was almost 3 grand on my ST1300, heck yah, I'm going to LA.

Since you live in CA why even hassle with a high priced bike to start, with extra charges on top of that. Check out OTDcycle. Save your self the hagleing. There is a lot of money to save doing your shopping. I've bought most of my bikes from OTD all though a couple of bikes I bought either matched their price or or was willing to bargin. They can be beat from time to time but it's hard to beat em. I just can't believe the prices at other dealerships. Otd is normally MSRP only out the door. No frieght ,handleing or prep.

Sounds like you want to finance. You can apply online at your brand of choice and saves you the trouble and time at the dealer. You call Otd tell them what bike you want and it will be ready when you get there. You'll be out of there in a half hour and feel good about it.They will all so give you 10 percent off apparall if you push it.

Trust me.

thats where i got my bike. my local dealership wouldn't even get within 100 bucks of their price. the owner said they could match otds price and when i went down to buy the bike they couldn't do it so i told them to piss off.