Sign in to follow this  

1st time buying bike from stealership *Tips*

Since you live in CA why even hassle with a high priced bike to start, with extra charges on top of that. Check out OTDcycle. Save your self the hagleing. There is a lot of money to save doing your shopping. I've bought most of my bikes from OTD all though a couple of bikes I bought either matched their price or or was willing to bargin. They can be beat from time to time but it's hard to beat em. I just can't believe the prices at other dealerships. Otd is normally MSRP only out the door. No frieght ,handleing or prep.

Sounds like you want to finance. You can apply online at your brand of choice and saves you the trouble and time at the dealer. You call Otd tell them what bike you want and it will be ready when you get there. You'll be out of there in a half hour and feel good about it.They will all so give you 10 percent off apparall if you push it.

Trust me.

^^^^^^What he said.OTD has some of if not the best prices in California(southern).I have bought several bikes from them.I paid cash however.Search for a low intrest rate.Oh,and it is a buyers market right now soooooooo.............:)

Thanks everyone for your replies i appreciate it....there are alot of good tips in this thread!

I understand what the tax is, but what is the title and licensing? Im asking because what if I haggle with the dealer and they say they will meet my price but not pay for the title and license.

Would a used bike from the dealership need TTL?

I dont have to finance, i can pay cash, but i was reading another thread that said you can get the bike lower if you finance with them, then pay off the bike in a 2 payments.

Thanks everyone for your replies i appreciate it....there are alot of good tips in this thread!

I understand what the tax is, but what is the title and licensing? Im asking because what if I haggle with the dealer and they say they will meet my price but not pay for the title and license.

I dont have to finance, i can pay cash, but i was reading another thread that said you can get the bike lower if you finance with them, then pay off the bike in a 2 payments.

That's a state by state thing (title), but I do believe that CA requires that you title it when new.

I've never encountered a sale where it was cheaper in the end to finance vs pay in full. Those finance papers don't get filled out and filed for free, ya know.

Unless you want to build credit pay in cash... Cash is king and is the the best bargaining chip you have. If he doesn't want to work with you WALK 99.9% of the time they will beg you back, these bikes aren't flying off the shelves like they used to and their desperate for sales.

One more key point. As you are sitting there, the bike will be rolled in front of you. They will taunt you by telling you that you can have right now... But.... if the numbers are not what you want, walk. Do not let the excitement and immediate gratification suck you in. Do not let them pull the 'oh, doc fee, everyone has that on top of...' and the 'Special Servicing fee.....' whatever. If the check you are going to write is not exactly hat was originally agreed on, no matter that 'the boss found out about the deal I was going to give you and told me he'd fire me....' BS. Be ready and able to walk, neigh run out the door.

I like the ready to walk comments, sounds like a good idea. It's when you aren't ready to walk you end up paying what they want you to pay.

What are some of the fees and taxes that end up going on after that they don't show you until you start to finish the transaction?

Is there a mechanic build price if it's not crated?

Any other fees that are BS?

Why don't they come in crates any more? I bought my china bike in a crate because I didn't want them to build it and charge me 100$ extra. I'd have to tear it down anyways and make sure that they actually put grease in the bearings and didn't just put it together.

Also, how much margin do they make if they sell it for MSRP? Gives us an idea of how much we can get off the price

MSRP includes frieght and setup. Many dealers try to add a 'dco' fee, to pay for the 'paperwork processing'. In my book, that is part of doing business and I will not pay it. There can be title costs, and you can see what they are by visiting your local DMV website. Taxes vary by state, often they are paid at the dealer but in many states, they are paid to DMV when the MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin - All motor vehicles have one) is converted to a title at DMV.

Bottom line is, how much do you have to write the check for. Buying in state, taxes are a factor of the pruchase price. Title is a set fee (def. get a title in your name, it is absolute proof of ownership - Yes, you may have to pay sales tax, but worth it in the long run - Request an on road title if possible;))

Margins can be about 25% at MSRP. So that $10K bike costs the dealer at a minimum, $7.5K. I'd be looking for a price around $8,250~$8.5K Demand for a model can greatly affect this. Check for rebates, any rebate comes to you, not the dealer. Not uncommon to get what looks like a great price until you find the rebate is going to the dealer. A $10K bike, a $1.5K rebate. Dealer sells the bike to you for $8.5K and keeps the rebate - You just paid MSRP!

Almost no dealers will sell a crated bike. They would like to (they have been paid for setup and could just pocket it instead of paying a kid for 2 hours labor to assemble the bike) but the dealer agreement with the manufacturer prohibits it. There is the safety aspect, warranty concerns.

I didn't see this mentioned, so..

Just say no to all the extras. The dealers here in florida will try and sell you the extended service plan, battery warranty, the service package, and the tire and wheel warranty. These costs can easily double the price of your bike.

Most dealers wont dicker down here on a new bike, but they will discount accessories and you can save some money on last years model. I saved a grand on my wife's 09 fz600r over the '10 model. Just know what you can afford and don't fall for the its only $10.00 more a month bs.

Good luck

1st a little background on my self. I have worked in the MC industry for longer than most of you on here have been born. I own a MC product manufacturing busines..... I do not sell motorcycles......but worked I in dealerships for 20+ years.

MSRP does NOT include freight and set up as William1 has stated.

We have had this discussion on TT before and as I recall the outcome was that it is only included in the MSRP of Australia. Freight and set up is added in at the dealer level.

Like most of I am not crazy about the DOC fee but it is going to be very difficult to get a dealer to wave this fee.

You guys need to realize that there is very little mark up on a motorcycle. It is typically only $500 and a dealer must make a profit in order to pay the employees, rent and keep the lights on.

1st a little background on my self. I have worked in the MC industry for longer than most of you on here have been born. I own a MC product manufacturing busines..... I do not sell motorcycles......but worked I in dealerships for 20+ years.

MSRP does NOT include freight and set up as William1 has stated.

We have had this discussion on TT before and as I recall the outcome was that it is only included in the MSRP of Australia. Freight and set up is added in at the dealer level.

Like most of I am not crazy about the DOC fee but it is going to be very difficult to get a dealer to wave this fee.

You guys need to realize that there is very little mark up on a motorcycle. It is typically only $500 and a dealer must make a profit in order to pay the employees, rent and keep the lights on.

I'm in the trucking business, and I know for a fact that the freight to the dealer's location is NOT paid by the dealer, but by the respective mfgr.

And you have to admit "setup" isn't a very complex or long process.

Another tip-make sure that the dealer actually, physically has the bike in their possession. I got the raw end of the stick from a dealer once on a new, hard to locate model they claimed they had, and turned out they didn't actually have the machine in inventory, but after the papers were signed, they had to go to another dealer and get the bike.

Lesson learned that day-don't even bother talking about anything until you see the machine in person.