Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put new stainless intake valves on my 06 250x. When I put it back together I had every thing lined up. I rolled it over with the electric start to start it and it locked up. When I took the valve cover off the cam chain was halfway off the crank sprocket. I got it back on and lined everything up, checked the valve clearances to make shure I didn't bend a valve rolled it over slowly with the crank gear bolt a few times like I should have the first time then started it up. Well now it makes a clicking sound that definately was not their before I tore it down. What do you guys think the noise is ????

Noise is present above idle and at idle. I released the cam chain tensioner and the cam chain is tight. The timing marks are lined up and the valves are shimmed to specs. Could it be something that is supposed to hold the cam chain on the crank gear?

Weird that the timing chain came off. I've shimed and replaced valves many times and never had that happen. Maybe that bearing (that slides toward the left side of bike so you can get cam on and off) didnt put back on properly. Or one of those half circle metal inserts (set rings of the cam shaft holders) didnt get put back on. Just guessing.

Guys the cam chain was probably half way off when I put it back together the first time thats why it locked up when i rolled it over(because the cam didn't stay in time with the crank). I finally took it apart today and found 2 bent intake valves, which really stinks because they were brand new.

• 6 years later...