Gearing for MX caught between 3rd and 4th.

I am constantly shifting between 3rd n 4th. I can hit a corner in 3rd shift up to 4th and if its an uphill I'll have to feather the clutch. I would like to decrease the sprocket size to get a lil more out of 3rd? Is that the right way to go.

Any recommendations for an MX track?

I was thinking about bumping the front up to a 14?

BTW the bike is a 2008 yz250f stock.

Edited by pavelkod

Going to a bigger front sprocket will make it harder for the bike to pull 4th on an uphill unless you do something different, like come out of the corner faster to start with.

I'd try a rear sprocket with one or two more teeth and see how it goes.

The catch with that is there's gonna' be a bigger jump from gear-to-gear the taller you gear the bike.

On the other hand, the way to know for sure is to try it.

Very True. I'm going to order it and try it out on the track. I feel as if I can just get a but more speed in 3rd gear I would be golden.

I will let yous know how it works out,

I dropped to a 48 rear and am LOVING it. The 08 has enough bottom to muscle through the low end.

I highly recommend putting a 48T rear. I was having a similar issue and am happy as heck. I did do some other mods at the same time though (Pipe, R&D Float bowl)

I dropped to a 48 rear and am LOVING it. The 08 has enough bottom to muscle through the low end.

I highly recommend putting a 48T rear. I was having a similar issue and am happy as heck. I did do some other mods at the same time though (Pipe, R&D Float bowl)

Whats your weight?

I agree with you on this big time. By doing this, your going to stretch out the great bottom and mid that the 08 makes. I tried going bigger on the rear sprocket, and it makes it very punchy, kinda like a 125. The 48t will allow you to pull a gear much farther, and keeps you riding in the mid range.

Normally I go up 1 or 2 in the rear but some of my faster friends go smaller in back, and it sure works great for them. Of course a rear sprockie costs a lot more than that $8 14t. I'd give that a try. At least you'll have the 14 ready for any high speed desert race if it doesn't work out on the mx track!