Brake Line with headlight?

Hi all,

A month ago I was having a random look through the local classifieds when I came across a 2004 YZ250WR. It's one of those bikes I'd always wanted but I suppose I got sucked into the four stroke revolution and never got to owning one. After spending about 4 hours yesterday looking through the YZ pics thread, I've picked up some ideas to make this a great bike.

Anyway after it's maiden run last weekend I've got a few jobs planned to get the bike in top shape. One of those jobs is to fix the brakes front and rear. I just picked up new disks for both ends, along with the pads and pins and will replace all fluids etc. tomorrow.

My question is in relation to the front brake line, and hoping I can get some ideas on how to set it up. I want to re-route the line CR style, and have ordered the lightspeed fork guards so that I can run the routing this way. To do this I have to get a new brake line that suits this routing, HOWEVER, I still want to retain the headlight, so an MX break line will be too short.

Anyone have some experience in running a headlight on their YZ with the CR style brake line routing? If so, what did you do with regards to the brake line?

I'm thinking I'll just have to find someone who makes brake lines and tell them how long I need it and have it custom made. Would the line from a WR fit?

Looking for any ideas anyone can offer. Phew.....first post out of the way!

Ehat the lads above said will work, I have an '03 model of the same bike (for quite some time now, no getting suckered into 4T for me) and have the CR front brake conversion, using a stainless braided line but still routed the YZ way, works great but can be a bugger to bleed.

Thanks guys, I was hopeful that a line from a 2005+ WR would be the solution, and from the replies it seems this might be the case. From what I've been able to determine, its imperative to get the brake line clamp that suits the line size so that it can't move and get near the wheel.

Hey projectcxr, are you running the line in front or behind the headlight?

Thanks for the link moleculo. The Ride Eng. lines were the ones I was most interested in getting. I assume from the page link you've supplied that the line you are using is the one pictured on the WR? If this is the case, this is what I'll try and get my hands on.

Cheers.

One thing not so great about the Ride Engineering line is the fittings. They are made to swivel, which gives a nice fit, but they have no strength. Any sort of hit will destroy them.

The wr line would be my first choice. Having a fitting brake is possibly a long shot, but mine lasted under 1 minute before it happened.

I run the CRF brake line on my YZ with a headlight. The brake line is run behind the headlight on my bike but you have a speedo to consider. If you have the room behond the headlight it is the way to go as there is less chance of it snagging on a tree/bush.

What exactly is "CR" line routing? Was looking at some Tusk brake lines and it said something about CR style, and i was not really sure what that meant or if thats better or worse than stock line and routing.

The "CR" routing was how Honda routed their brake line to the caliper. It used the most direct way to connect the two. Supposedly they had a patent on the method of attachment and made the other manufacturers use odd ways of routing the brake line. That patent expired around 2005, so the newer bikes use the cr style routing.

I suppose its better as it allows a shorter line between the mc and caliper. I think the improvement in power and feel is due more to the new fluid and stronger line used. Not so much credit to the overall length of hose or its routing.

...the line you are using is the one pictured on the WR?

That's correct. I also used Ride's clamp bracket because my bike is an 03 with stock fork guards. You can see it pretty clearly in the photo in MY GARAGE.

FWIW, my Ride brakeline has been installed for 4 years and a couple cartwheels with no issues. RCannon, what's the story behind the failure of yours?

That's correct. I also used Ride's clamp bracket because my bike is an 03 with stock fork guards. You can see it pretty clearly in the photo in MY GARAGE.

FWIW, my Ride brakeline has been installed for 4 years and a couple cartwheels with no issues. RCannon, what's the story behind the failure of yours?

As all good stories go, I was just riding along, minding my own business. It was before I had asv type levers, so the mc was tight, but not tight. It would still slide in a crash.

I had a small tip over on the right side, Not hard enough to mess up the lever, but it did push the mc towards the centerline of the bike by an inch. I got up and the line was hanging like a piece of spaghetti. It had broken right where the fitting will rotate (its thinnest section).

Ahhh moleculo.....when I went and had a look at the pic of your bike as suggested, I had a bit of a chuckle to myself as your bike was the one that got me interested in the mod in the first place. I spent about 4 days going through the "show us pics of your yz" thread and yours was the first bike that I noticed with the CR routing and also had a headlight. Thus the reason I started this thread to try and arrange the same mod myself. Mate I love your bike and I even went out and purchased the same graphics kit.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to source a WR line from an 05+ WR and hopefully it will all fit up perfectly.

Cheers