Max Rider Weight for a YZ 85

vinny_in_nc

I'm 40 years old and have a CRF 450. Don't ride but twice a month and would like to get a two stroke. One of my buddies who is about my size (5'8" 165lbs) got a CR 85 and rode it like he stole it for a couple years, then traded up for a 125. I'm thinking I might like to do the same thing just because I think I'd have a lot more fun riding something a little more manageable. I might go up to 170 over the next year. What suspension modifications will I need to make, and how much of a pounding will the engine take pulling me around? I've owned my CRF since "03" and I've rebuilt it from the bottom up twice and I really enjoy maintenance / wrenching. Thoughts or guidance?

Honestly I think you would be better off with a 125 right off the bat. I had a yz80 about 7 years ago and just purchased a 125 last year. It was a little intimidating at first but after about 2 rides i felt in complete control. You wouldn't really have to do anything to the 125's suspension and it gives a little room to grow. When I got rid of my 80 I was about your height and weight and it was starting to get really frustrating to ride because i had to constantly keep it on the pipe or it would stall so easily, there is no room to lug it. With the 125 I have some lug room but also can keep it on the pipe too.

• Like 1

The 125 would probably be your better bet but Im 180 and can jump 85's like those crazy little kids. Its much easier to pin it wide open around a corner, only thing is it would be much more unforgiving if you come up short which can happen pretty easily.

I ride my wife's 06 yz85 all the time now, since my 250 isn't running yet. They are a blast to ride! I love the power! (top end power) I ride that thing at least twice a week and I weigh 190. It pulls me everywhere on the back wheel no problem. Just watch the bottom and mid range, there is none. I find it more fun to ride than a 125. The 85 acually hits harder at the powerband, or that is what it feels like, it goes from 5 hp to 20 hp instantly.

• Like 1

a 125 is a great beginner bike, and still a great bike even after you polish your skills.

an 80 or 85 is more of a play bike you take to the track to just goof off on and isn't something you'll want to keep riding for the next few years.

• Like 1

+1 on riding the 85. I rode the 85 I bought for my nephew and couldn't stop smiling until I bent the bars. I way 190 and the suspension is completely inadequate but it was SOO MUCH FUN. I'd really like to put stiffer springs on it and use it as a mini moto bike. Instead of taking a CRF50 and dropping $10k into it, just pick up an 85 and put stiffer springs on it and your ready to ride.

Am I looking at a typo here?

You have a 450 and you are thinking of going to an 85 or 125?

Get a 250 two stroke and learn to tune it to your liking.

No matter what I do to my 250 I could never ride it like an 85. So theres always a good reason for the change.

Man, you give up so much on a smaller wheeled bike, especially off road. I wouldn't do it. 85's are fun, but a full size bike with more manageable power is what you are looking for, if I'm reading your post right. I'd go with a 125 or a 250f.

Besides if you went with an 85 you actually have to shift... :-)

• 8 years later...

Between myself, my wife and our kids we have 6 bikes in the garage from a CRF50 to a race modded RMZ450. The bike that's the most fun and makes me feel like a little kid again is the 2016 KTM 65sx. I started riding it so I could cruise around with my stepson on his 50 at the local jr track. I was amazed!!! Crazy power, I mean CRAZY and super fun for play riding. So much so I had to buy my stepson a KLX 110 for his next bike because he wasn't ready for the 65 in full race mode. That being said the cockpit is a little cramped, everything gets seat bounced because there is no standing up and at 195lbs the suspension has a nervous breakdown if I don't grease the jumps perfect. This is a 65 I'm talking about after all. I'm sure an 85 would be a little more comfortable and have a lot stiffer spring options available than a 65. I haven't messed with the spring rates because this bike is supposed to be for the kids. I would go for a late model KTM or Husky if I was going to get an 85. They are light years ahead of the Japanese 85s.

• 2 years later...

I have a '18 yz250x and a '21 crf250r. Those bikes are fun to ride, but they pale in comparison to the fun I have on my CR85 pit bike. I have bar risers and bbr stiffer springs on it. Once their sprung right they're great.