Drz 400s Engine Problems....Help!!!!!

HI I have a drz400s 2001. 2 days ago I noticed a slight ticking sound coming from the motor. I stoped and saw I was low on oil. It just barely hit the bottom of the dip stick. I added oil but the ticking remained, but it wasn't getting worse. I was on my way home today and it acted like it was out of gas, so I filled back up. After refueling the bike wouldn't start (elec start). After it wouldn't start I tried bump starting it and that didn't work either. When I would drop the clutch it wouldn't catch all I heard was tick tick tick real fast. Any ideas? Yesterday before all this had happened I got it check out by a mechanic and he said the valves might need to be checked, but i should be okay till I was able to check them. -Thanks Justin

Oil was not the problem. Other than that you are going to have to determine if it is a fuel problem, ignition problem or compression problem.

Check valve clearances and cam timing marks.

Check for fuel in the carb and if there is water in the gas. Might want to disassemble and clean the carb.

Check for spark. Read current post "Another Broken Stator"

Report results.

Thats exactly what i'm trying to do....think.

-I've heard it might have been a slight seize compared to a heavy seize since i was doing 65 on the freeway when it happened. I pulled the plug it still fires. The tire doesn't lock up when I drop it into gear it just clicks....sounds like the motor is ratcheting.

-I live in Fair Oaks,CA and commute 25 miles up to Placerville,CA (about 2000 FT). Could it have something to do with air fuel mixtures? maybe running too lean?

-Thanks for all the input, Justin.