DEP Pipe and Silencer, Silencer Fit

I decided to try the DEP pipe and silencer on my '06 YZ250.

The pipe fits great, no issues at all.

The silencer though will not line up with the mounting holes?? Each pipe mounting bolt was only just started, not tightened so pipe would align when putting on silencer. No matter how you try (short of bending) the DEP silencer will not line up with subframe mounts.

The stock silencer and an FMF Q I have both line right up, no problems. I have emailed DEP but likely won't here back till monday. The sub-frame is perfectly straight; the bike has never been down hard.

Has anyone else tried their pipe and silencer; if so did you have any fit issues? I am hoping its just the wrong silencer (though its stamped YZ250 01-10) ans the section leading to the pipe is at a different angle and length than the stock or FMF.

Here is the Dep, the bolt at rear won't thread in due to angle, its just holding the pipe. To get it to have the right angle to line up the silencer would need to have its pipe bent a bit and maybe shortened.

th_s3600002-1.jpg

th_s3600004.jpg

Stock pipe bolts up just fine

th_s3600010-1.jpg

th_S3600011.jpg

Here is a picture showing the FMF Q (stock is on the bike) compared to the DEP Silencer. The silencer pipe section seems wrong? The FMF Q matches the stock silencer.

th_S3600012.jpg

The fit of the pipe and look is great though

th_S3600014.jpg

Weather permitting I will try it with stock silencer Sunday.

Edited by DLHamblin

Possible for you to loosen pipe more, start threading the front mount (one closest to front of bike), then push down on the silencer and put the rear in? you should be able to make it work, the mounts are rubber mounted..so even if its a tad off you can force it. If that doesnt work, id say make them send you a new one... Sucks when stuff doesnt fit right, most 4-stroke exhausts are the same way too unless its FMF or Yoshi..etc

Im using the enduro silancer now. I had to grind a small spot on the rear tab were it hit the subframe. Took me a minute to fix Im not unhappy with the fit. The silancer performs quite well I just wish they had spark arrestors. I have yet to try a shorty or Q with the dep enduro pipe. I went to school to be a machienest so It was no big deal to me to make work. They olney suckey part is they should silicone the lower part were you service the packing so it dosnt blow out there and splooge. I decibled at 88 with a fresh pack and my 295 running on 110. I couldnt belive how quiet it was for how it performed. The olney fuuny part was at sound check they said mmm race gas I just smiled. I took the dep sticker off the silancer and sand blasted the pipe and cermic coated it black just like a stock pipe.

Possible for you to loosen pipe more, start threading the front mount (one closest to front of bike), then push down on the silencer and put the rear in? you should be able to make it work, the mounts are rubber mounted..so even if its a tad off you can force it. If that doesnt work, id say make them send you a new one... Sucks when stuff doesnt fit right, most 4-stroke exhausts are the same way too unless its FMF or Yoshi..etc

I tried that. Seems like its the wrong pipe; as its not even close. Hopefully DEP has the answer.🙂

I have a DEP with a TCII and it fits perfect. 05 yz 250 though...Are you sure nothing is bent i.e., brackets? Like someone else mentioned, it might be a good idea to loosen all the bolts on the pipe and readjust, then see how you are at that point.

I have a DEP with a TCII and it fits perfect. 05 yz 250 though...Are you sure nothing is bent i.e., brackets? Like someone else mentioned, it might be a good idea to loosen all the bolts on the pipe and readjust, then see how you are at that point.

Yeah, I tried that (removed all the mounting bolts; just had the springs hold it on), no luck. It's weird the stock silencer and FMF Q slip on the DEP pipe and line up perfect with no fuss or forcing.

DL.Here is pic of my dep and fmf silencer. Mines the q stealth, but it should be similar. Not sure if the picture shows it, but they are very similar, or should be. I set them both at the same angle. My dep does not fit perfectly, but the brackets are more accurate than the fmf. My dep silencer does say "yz 250 02/09" on the bottom rear section.

DSC00374.jpg

DL.Here is pic of my dep and fmf silencer. Mines the q stealth, but it should be similar. Not sure if the picture shows it, but they are very similar, or should be. I set them both at the same angle. My dep does not fit perfectly, but the brackets are more accurate than the fmf. My dep silencer does say "yz 250 02/09" on the bottom rear section.

Thanks for the picture. I am going riding today with the stock silencer, I will play around with the DEP this evening.

:banghead:After riding today (with stock silencer) I decided to try fitting the DEP one again. No luck, not even close.

The FMF slips on; lines up great!

th_xs3600007.jpg

The stock silencer slips on, lines up great.

th_xs3600006.jpg

The dep doesn't come close to being able to line up; so I guess I'll wait to hear what they think.🙂

th_xS3600005.jpg

th_xs3600004.jpg

It just looks to be a defect from DEP or it's the wrong silencer altogether. If the other ones work just fine you know it's not the pipe. Have you called DEP?

I sent email Saturday as they were closed (pipe/silencer came Saturday).

I plan to call this morning. I haven't heard any other reports of poor fitment (actually the opposite, good quality/performance) so I am hoping its just the wrong core in the silencer as I really want to use their silencer with the pipe as thats reported to give the best gains.

I will follow up with what I hear back.

:thumbsup:Talked with Tom at DEP USA, after looking at the pictures he agree's somethings amiss with the silencer. He went and pulled another and checked it and put it in the mail! Once I get it he'd like me to send the original so he can figure out whats up with it.

Should have it by Wednesday and will let you all know! Hate that I had an issue but great response from Tom at DEP!

Glad it worked out..or is being worked out. Your silencer looks a lot like the one that fits the 96-99 yz 250. I wonder if the midpipe from that series was substituted instead of the correct one?

That was my thought as well that it may be for an earlier YZ. The pipe is a bit longer and straighter; so it was at the wrong angle in both axis.

I'm looking forward to running with their silencer over the stock one to see what difference it makes.

:banghead:Well, no joy.

The second one is a carbon copy of the first.

I received the second, I cannot get it to fit as well, same issue.

I spent about an hour testing and trying. I made a couple movies this time showing the stock, FMF, and new Dep being fitted.

I had the pipe mounts and springs all loose when trying to mount it.

I even went so far as to take the pipe off and refit everything. Same results all around.

Its perplexing that the stock and FMF slip on so effortlessly and the DEP will not line up at all.

I will send the second one back Monday.

I would like to use the DEP silencer but its not looking good as these two do not fit. I guess I will just run the stock silencer with the DEP pipe.

Stock Fitting

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k231/yz250dad/DEP/?action=view&current=Stock.mp4

FMF Q Fitting

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k231/yz250dad/DEP/?action=view&current=FMF.mp4

DEP

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k231/yz250dad/DEP/?action=view&current=DEP.mp4

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k231/yz250dad/DEP/?action=view&current=Dep2.mp4

From the photos, it looks as if I have the same exact pipe and silencer. I will fit mine up tomorrow and take pictures and we'll see if it shows where the issue is.

I did not feel like the silencer did much, if anything, but I know thats not the point right now.

Can you think of anything specific, or angles, I can photograph to help show the problem? My best explanation is DEP was running behind and had FMF bend the tubing.

I suppose it makes sense that there would be more than one silencer assembled from incorrect parts.

I wonder if their jig was bent or if someone accidentally grabbed the wrongs part #'s during assembly and they made a bad batch. Something is weird. Sucks about all your problems...Makes me glad I just ordered the DEP pipe.

From the photos, it looks as if I have the same exact pipe and silencer. I will fit mine up tomorrow and take pictures and we'll see if it shows where the issue is.

I did not feel like the silencer did much, if anything, but I know thats not the point right now.

Can you think of anything specific, or angles, I can photograph to help show the problem? My best explanation is DEP was running behind and had FMF bend the tubing.

I suppose it makes sense that there would be more than one silencer assembled from incorrect parts.

The best way I can explain it in words is the DEP does not have enough of a "kink" in it. With the stock and FMF, you slip them on and can roll them right up and the brackets and holes line up great.

The dep seems to bind up befoew you can get it lined up, especially at he front.

DEP Silencer (with DEP Pipe)

th_s3600006.jpg

th_S3600005.jpg

th_s3600001.jpg

Stock Pipe with DEP Pipe

th_s3600008.jpg

th_s3600009.jpg

th_xs3600006.jpg

FMF with DEP Pipe

th_xs3600007.jpg

Here is the stock and DEP Silencer, I lined them up by the mounting flange holes. The DEP just does not seem to have enough bend or kink compared to the stock or FMF?

th_s36000102.jpg