tusk valve spring compressor

the tusk valve spring compressor good for pretty much any bike?

I need to install a valve on an xr200, I got it out using the socket/magnet/rag method, and it's good and needs to go back in now

There's also the clamp from above type, I dont know if these are better than the tusk style C clamp

they look like this

otc-4573.gif

25220.jpg

Never tried a tusk valve spring compressor, neat idea and would be easier to use than the C-clamp style if there is enough room around the spring.

I use a C-clamp style srping compressor with a home made adapter (made from copper plumbing fittings) that lets me get at the keepers.

DSCF1058.jpg

The one on the left is my latest, made from a short piece of copper pipe, then a steel washer, and then a copper coupling, all soldered together. The cup on the bottom fits around the retainer so it doesn't slide off, the steel washer pushes on the retainer, the coupling fits against the washer.

I don't even use my spring compressor, takes way too long. I stuff a socket full of paper towel, lay the head on a rag with the valve in place, put the spring in place with the retainer on top of it, then place the keepers in the retainer like they will sit when holding the valve. Then I just push on the retainer with the socket, the paper towel pushes the keepers into place, but is squishy enough to allow the stem of the valve to push up a bit. This method has always worked for me.