cr250 vs crf250f

2t's are not meant for everyone and vise versa for the 4t.. ride one and decide for yourself will be the most accurate answer to your question

The thing is ive been riding the cr250 for about 4 years now. I wonder if i would be faster on a bike with power that is more manageable. Plus having a bike with newer updated suspension cant be a bad thing.

I can't imagine you'll 'need' more power on most moto-x tracks than the f250r cranks out. You'll need to wring it out more but I think you'll be fine. But you've got to ride and decide for yourself...

I can't imagine you'll 'need' more power on most moto-x tracks than the f250r cranks out. You'll need to wring it out more but I think you'll be fine. But you've got to ride and decide for yourself...

Thats what I was thinking. The guys on 250f's are doing the same jumps and whatnot as the 450f's or 250t's. Just a different style of riding. And I really dont ride my 2t like a 2t anyway. I pretty much lug it like a 4t. Im usually about a gear higher than I should be. Plus Im only about 165lbs without my gear on.

Thats what I was thinking. The guys on 250f's are doing the same jumps and whatnot as the 450f's or 250t's. Just a different style of riding. And I really dont ride my 2t like a 2t anyway. I pretty much lug it like a 4t. Im usually about a gear higher than I should be. Plus Im only about 165lbs without my gear on.

This being the case, the 4 stroke will be a better fit for you. It comes with a price being that the parts are more expensive and a bit tougher to work on. I do hear complaints that the 4 stroke doesn't handle nearly the same as a 2 stroke. But once you get used to it, there's not much different.

When I was deciding I rode both the 250f and the 450f. The 450 can be quite a handful and I found that I was coasting a lot and not really hamming it. The 450 felt big and heavy. I had no trouble hopping off my CR250 onto a CRF250. They handled about the same. The 250f had just a bit less power but it was smooth and controllable. I could pretty much hammer on it as hard as I wanted to and not get myself in trouble.

I went CR250R to CRF250R and X to YZ250, I really liked how controllable the CRFs were but I was getting murdered in the high speed desert and long tracks I race with my buddies even though I was cornering as fast as them. Most of them ride 450s and are 210 or so Im only 175 so the 450 would tire me out a bit faster than them.

I also felt that with the CR and YZ I had more options on the track available because of how quickly it would get into the power. I was able to slam into a berm, than practically lay it completely over on its side and rip out of the corner, so instead of riding the whole berm along the outside like I would with my CRFs I turned in a more triangular fashion.

Based on how you described your riding style though the 4 stroke might make more sense for you

Ride them both and decide from there. I see you're 37 so if you race the vet class you will be up against mostly 450's so the start kind of sucks. I usually beat the 450's for the first 30 feet but once they stop spinning and hook up I'm toast. You probably won't be pulling may holeshots on a 250F but they are alot more fun to ride IMO.

i took off riding for 10 years then came back and got a 07 CR 250 2 stroke for first season then got 09 450 second season and now got 10 250f for my 3rd season back. i am most happy with the 250f even though the holeshots are alot harder against a 450 but i have more fun and it handles more like the light 2 strokes i was used to. the efi is just awesome as well

the motor is modded bc i am 205lb and wanted more power for racing against 450's but even stock it was a great bike i just had to rev it out to get the power, now it has power everywhere and is easy to ride. i can lug it or rev it def a fun but potent vet weapon

Ride them both and decide from there. I see you're 37 so if you race the vet class you will be up against mostly 450's so the start kind of sucks. I usually beat the 450's for the first 30 feet but once they stop spinning and hook up I'm toast. You probably won't be pulling may holeshots on a 250F but they are alot more fun to ride IMO.

I get smoked in the vet class anyways on my 250t.😏 I just started racing this year so i decided to go back to the beginner class and do some more learnin about racing. Im going to look at an 08 crf250 this weekend. Pretty sure im gonna go that route now. The last couple of posts helped me make up my mind. Like is said before im not using the power I have now so I dont think the change will hurt me. Hopefully make me a better rider.

Thanks again for all the replys.😏

the older CRF 250's are a bitch to start, just remember that

I get smoked in the vet class anyways on my 250t.😏 I just started racing this year so i decided to go back to the beginner class and do some more learnin about racing. Im going to look at an 08 crf250 this weekend. Pretty sure im gonna go that route now. The last couple of posts helped me make up my mind. Like is said before im not using the power I have now so I dont think the change will hurt me. Hopefully make me a better rider.

Thanks again for all the replys.😏

well your lucky then bc i know i have alot of friends who have had older ones and got rid of them bc of starting issues and that is what kept me from buying one till now in 2010. i also know during my races over the years when a guy with one would stall or fall over forget it he was finished couldn't get it started. or even on the line bf our race guys couldn't start them

so obviously not all of them but alot of of the 09 and down CRF 250 are known for being hard to start. i have a friend now who had an older one and is scared to buy an 2010 bc of the starting issues he had. i told him he has to come ride mine so he can see it is fixed bc the 2010 is a breeze to start

I hear you on restarting my '06 after a crash. I'm pretty much toast if I crash and it stalls. I never have a problem starting it hot or cold otherwise though. I did Ron's decompressor pin mod but I can't say that helped starting after a crash though.