450X+JD+FMF PWR Bomb+open airbox=OMG!!!

OMG the monster lives. Heres what I did: FMF power bomb, white bros carbon muffler, cut the pink wire, JD jet kit w/162 main and red needle, works connection fuel screw, cut open the top of airbox and took out the metal filter screen, dropped one tooth on the front sproket.

So after reading thumpertalk for a long time I made all the mods that I thought my bike would need for the type of riding I do and the areas I ride. I live in Montana and most of the areas I ride are are single track between 5 and 9 thousand feet. I did all the mods at one time and the change is night and day! It used pull the front wheele up 1st and 2nd, now the front is coming up in 1,2,3,4 and a strong pull in 5. I have a buddy with a KTM525EXC, My bike is side by side with his in a straight drag.

Heres the down side, she really drinks gas! the stock gas tank will only take me about 60 to 70 miles on fast trails and steep hills. Now I need to get the IMS 3.2 gal tank.

Anyone know anywhere to get a good deal on a clear IMS tank?

Thanks

Dan

Ride it like its your last day.🙂

I bought a 3.2 gallon IMS tank and my stock plastics didn't fit well on it at all. I called them and asked about the problem and their customer service was HORRIBLE. Then two weeks after the install I went for my first ride and the rubber gasket inside the fuel cap had disintigrated and pieces of rubber were in the bottom of the tank, again called them on the problem and they were HORRIBLE. I would recommend a clark.

Sounds like you're on the right track, Dan! I could never get (reliably) over 80 miles on an IMS 3.2 on my X so you're doing good at 60 on a stock tank no doubt. IMS tanks are fine for most people. The gas cap issue was a minor one and it's been long fixed. Clarke tanks are well made but they're futt buggly.

Edited by cubera

Sounds like you're on the right track, Dan! I could never get (reliably) over 80 miles on an IMS 3.2 on my X so you're doing good at 60 on a tock tank no doubt. IMS tanks are fine for most people. The gas cap issue was a minor one and it's been long fixed. Clarke tanks are well made but they're futt buggly.

+1 🙂...and they are nut busters with that volcano top.

dropped one tooth on the front sproket.

I'm suprised you dropped to a 12 tooth sproket. It will help for tight stuff but has to kill your top end speed and your fuel mileage as well. Not to mention a 12 tooth sproket wears out really fast

I'm suprised you dropped to a 12 tooth sproket. It will help for tight stuff but has to kill your top end speed and your fuel mileage as well. Not to mention a 12 tooth sproket wears out really fast

No kidding. I went up a tooth to a 14 and I think it's just about perfect. Still has the low end grunt that you need for the tight stuff, but also helps the top end tremendously. I can't imagine going lower than the stock gearing, there must be no top end at all.

i had a 12 front on my 06, and i had to replace my chain slider 3 times in 4 months! dont run it unless you wanna change out the slider frequently. currently back to the 13, and wear is 10X better then the 12. just a thought. enjoy

No kidding. I went up a tooth to a 14 and I think it's just about perfect. Still has the low end grunt that you need for the tight stuff, but also helps the top end tremendously. I can't imagine going lower than the stock gearing, there must be no top end at all.

sorry about the bad info. Im still running a 13, I had a 14 on for a while last summer when I did a long dirt road ride. I went back to a 13 after I got home. That being said, OMG the Power Im getting out of it now. The FMF power bomb opened up the exhaust along with the cut top airbox and the JD. Its like riding my EXC250 without the wild hit.

OK so back to my question, Does the IMS really fit that bad or does it just take a little tweecking? I already have an IMS 4.0 gal tank and that took some tweecking to make it fit wtih my flatland rad guards (an hour over a 100/Watt shop light and a little streching), but its too big to use on the tight trail in Montana. I'm not sure I really like the look of the Clarke (Nut Buster 😏) also, wtih the Clarke fuel neck being so high would it would it move more weight higher on the bike and change the CG?

So what would be a good choice? any ideas?

The IMS tank fits fine. Honda change the 2008 and newer 450x rad shouds (and the stock tank) so IMS had to modify their tank design, which may explain some of the negative issues around that transition period. The old model will only fit 2005-07 years, whereas the new mode will fit all years (2005-"10"). I have the newer version on my 2006 and it fits great.

The IMS tank fits fine. Honda change the 2008 and newer 450x rad shouds (and the stock tank) so IMS had to modify their tank design, which may explain some of the negative issues around that transition period. The old model will only fit 2005-07 years, whereas the new mode will fit all years (2005-"10"). I have the newer version on my 2006 and it fits great.

74 Barrio

Thanks for the heads up on the new model IMS tanks. Thats the kinda info that I love about this sight. That makes every thing so easy now. Im just going to bit the bullet and buy a new tank from IMS. I'll let you all know how it works out.

I couldn't be happier with my X, after I get all the last little things done I'll post some Pics of what I have done and how it all works together. Next is putting on my bar extentions. If your over 6 feet the bike is a bit short but turns great, a quick add on bar riser and I think Im done with all the mods.

Thanks again

Dan