Lightest Wheel/Hub Set??

hi guys, i currently have a bunch of oem wheel and hub sets and since i decided i am not getting a second bike at the moment like i orig was gonna do (ktm 350) that leaves me some spending money to work on my current ride. so i was thinking of working on unsprung weight since i got the motor and susp sorted out and dialed in. instead of bling stuff i am gonna focus on mods that have function and form first and if it happens to bling then so be it

so anyway i was thinking of selling a few of my oem sets to fund a new set of lightweight wheels and hubs. is the Carbon Talon Hubs and A60 Excels the current lightest setup out there right now?? here they are. i haven't been able to find anything lighter yet but any help would be great

also gonna prob do a Ti shock spring and the big bolt kit from Mettec that gives you all the big bolts on the bike that are unsprung weight in Ti

i figured btw the Ti shock spring,big bolts, and wheels/hub i would save about 7-10lb of unsprung weight which would be equal to about 49lb-60lb depending on actually how much weight i shave off the bike

http://www.qtmi.com/MXwheels.html

thanks in advance

H

OE hubs and wheels are about as light as it gets.

The talon carbon with A60's using excel spoke sets will probably weigh exact same...maybe a tad lighter. You should just call QTM and ask.

Use diverse suspension products for your Ti springs...BEST on the market period.

I would look into the lightest tubes possible (or tubliss). I own tubliss...it, for me, was NO lighter than a light tube. BUT most people dont use the lightest tubes...and then it IS lighter.

dirt rider did an article on shaving weight on the KTM 300...and mxa did a sub 200 pound honda 250f.

good info could be found there...

The whole 1 pound of unsprung weight is equal to seven pounds sprung weight is just a number people use. Its not going to be the same ratio on a dirt bike. I believe that number came from a forum where a guy did it to a Porsche and that was what it ended up being. I Think on a dirt bike 1 pound of unsprung is equal to about 1 pound of sprung. I cant tell a difference when I have an alum sprocket versus a steel sprocket on there. Im not say 7 pounds wont be noticeable, but I dont think it will be as noticeable as your hoping it will be.

thanks alot for the info, i have heard good things about the DSP springs

thanks for the honest answer on the talon/excel etc, i kinda had a feeling it was more bling then function

i will look into the articles and tubes or tubeliss etc good idea i didn't think of the tubes 🙂

OE hubs and wheels are about as light as it gets.

The talon carbon with A60's using excel spoke sets will probably weigh exact same...maybe a tad lighter. You should just call QTM and ask.

Use diverse suspension products for your Ti springs...BEST on the market period.

I would look into the lightest tubes possible (or tubliss). I own tubliss...it, for me, was NO lighter than a light tube. BUT most people dont use the lightest tubes...and then it IS lighter.

dirt rider did an article on shaving weight on the KTM 300...and mxa did a sub 200 pound honda 250f.

good info could be found there...

i am realistic i don't expect it to feel like the 50lb off etc especially when it weighs only 220lb etc compared to a car that is 3,000lb etc where you could feel more of a difference etc. like when i switched to my Volk wheels on my car i saved over 9lb of unsprung weight per wheel and that def felt and the car handled much better then prior

thanks for the info, def realize it won't be earth shattering but just want to pick mods that have function not just bling

The whole 1 pound of unsprung weight is equal to seven pounds sprung weight is just a number people use. Its not going to be the same ratio on a dirt bike. I believe that number came from a forum where a guy did it to a Porsche and that was what it ended up being. I Think on a dirt bike 1 pound of unsprung is equal to about 1 pound of sprung. I cant tell a difference when I have an alum sprocket versus a steel sprocket on there. Im not say 7 pounds wont be noticeable, but I dont think it will be as noticeable as your hoping it will be.

i am not sure about other Ti companies but Mettec is really good to work with and i have a guy there that i am friendly with just dealing with different companies over the years so i will be using them. they sell Ti bolts pick and choose so you could buy one or could buy your entire bikes bolts in Ti if you wanted, that would be expensive lol.

but they also sell certain Ti kits that for Ti bolts are priced very well considering Ti stuff is usually very expensive. they make a Ti kit that consists of all bolts that are considered unsprung weight on the bike. for me that one is worth getting the others are not big enough bolts and don't save that much weight and i would have to spend a fortune to add up to the weight of the big bolt kit does. plus they also warranty there stuff and the newer Ti big axle bolts don't have the problems that ones did couple years ago so these actually last. here is example of the big bolt kit, look for axle kit it has all the big bolts that weigh alot and are unsprung weight

http://www.mettec.com/category/130

i figured for the price of that instead of getting a cool set of triple clamps from a company that cost 800 bucks or other bling stuff that would add up to the same price as this, this actually has function etc vs just bling

What is the Ti bolt kit going to be worth? They are not cheap.

That is awesome though, I would love to do something like you are doing, like a big experiment.

Edited by H Bomb

Is it me or does this just seem outrageous, Do you shit money ?

Why not just go faster ? If your fast enough theres teams out there willing to pay for all of this for you, if not your just another racer. And shaving off a few lbs wont help anything.

Most americans are struggling to do anything and you want to spend 5K on TI Parts for your dirt scooter.

people can spend their money as they wish.

If they happen to be making it just fine right now, good for them.

If you are not...too bad for you, we are all hoping things turn around.

This is certainly my personal opinion towards politics...but without consumer spending the economy will never turn around.

You should thank him for his purchases...because that money is now spent to other people who buy food etc etc etc.

My business relies on people spending money making their bike better. I will be perfectly honest and say most dont need it! But I sure do appreciate it...because I then go get to spend my money with other people who own businesses or work for businesses....making it all go around.

Should he donate his earnings to a charity who often employ people - aka pay someone to do the charity work?

Should he give it to a bum on the street?

His spending is just what we need to see.

do you read?? where did i ever say i was gonna spend 5k on Ti parts?? i said the only thing i would even think of getting is the Ti axle kit which is a few hundred not a few thousand

this was an idea i had, not set in stone and the reason i asked about the wheels bc if it wasn't worth it i wasn't gonna spend the money

and not that it is your business but i have planned to do some schools as well and have done some already which have helped me alot

i bust my ass for what i have and i will do what i want with my money so i don't need any lessons from you on how to spend my money thank you

but to answer your question no i don't shit money, i am not rich but i am not struggling. anything i have i got through hard work and when business was slow bc of economic times i didn't sit on my ass and let things get bad i did other things and worked more so i was able to still do the sports i enjoy and be able to buy things for my bike or whatever it may be that i want to spend "MY" money on. when you or someone else starts paying for my things or my bills then they can tell me how to spend my money. i grew up dirt poor and was for most of my life so now that i am not anymore it is nice to treat yourself to things, and stuff you could of never dreamed of. so don't tell me about struggling as i know all to well what it is and have for over half my life

this thread was aksing about what the lightest wheels are and you turned it into what i shit. if you didn't know or have any input on the wheels you could have left your finacial advise for somewhere else

Is it me or does this just seem outrageous, Do you shit money ?

Why not just go faster ? If your fast enough theres teams out there willing to pay for all of this for you, if not your just another racer. And shaving off a few lbs wont help anything.

Most americans are struggling to do anything and you want to spend 5K on TI Parts for your dirt scooter.

• Like 1

If you want light then don't go with Talon wheels. While the hubs may be light weight, they use a different lacing pattern that requires longer spokes. When I weighed my Talon "Ultra light" wheels they were over a pound heavier than stock each.

i had the same thing couple years ago with the older set of Talons that they sold that is why i am nervous this time around i want to make sure there lighter if i go that route. i was pissed when i found out they were heavier and unsprung weight effects the handling of the bike etc, when i put on the oem again the bike handled so much better

were these those carbon ones i that they have now or the all painted ones like i had before?? if they were the carbon ones then i am def not getting them

thanks for the info apprec it

H

If you want light then don't go with Talon wheels. While the hubs may be light weight, they use a different lacing pattern that requires longer spokes. When I weighed my Talon "Ultra light" wheels they were over a pound heavier than stock each.

those are the ones FC uses right??

thanks i will look into the TCR hub and see if i can get it laced on a rim and all as a package

TCR?I know they were just about the lightest hubs out there for a while and would assume they still are.

I have a few sets of new TCR/A60 wheels if you want some... They're 2.15 rr though and their "old" hub style. They take the OEM hubs and machine the casting marks out of them making them lighter, then hard anodize them, add good spokes and A60 rims and you got stuff strong and light enough for many of the pro teams out there.

I have heard that the pro teams don't like their new hub, but have been unable to verify this and haven't heard a specific reason.

http://www.wheellacing.com/

i had the same thing couple years ago with the older set of Talons that they sold that is why i am nervous this time around i want to make sure there lighter if i go that route. i was pissed when i found out they were heavier and unsprung weight effects the handling of the bike etc, when i put on the oem again the bike handled so much better

were these those carbon ones i that they have now or the all painted ones like i had before?? if they were the carbon ones then i am def not getting them

thanks for the info apprec it

H

Mine were their billet aluminum "ultralight hubs", but the carbon hubs are only a couple ounces lighter than the aluminum ones. The problem with Talon wheels is spoke weight, not the hubs themselves. Talon hubs are pretty light, carbon or not, but they carry over a pound extra of spoke weight.