What color is YOUR oil after five hours?

engine - amsoil I change after every ride or day. It comes out a light brown

Tranny - Honda HP. about every 5 rides and it is still bright red or a dull red

If you are getting grey you are not changing tranny fluid enough. If you recently changed that habbit, it will take some changes to flush all the sludge out of the gears and cases. Also if you use cheap fluids they will break down much faster then using some quality fluids.

Also inspect the level of the fluids. You may have some oil migration issues.

ITs going to take SEVERAL changes in a row to get rid of that Grey color. If the owner before you did not change it (believe it or not ... some people don't realize there is a seperate tranny oil to change) it will be grey for a while.

It will clear up, but likely after 6 flushes.

Even if you put new oil in, ran it for 10 minutes, it will be grey again. Could also be a sign that your clutch is hooped if it doesn't clear up.

Just be patient with it. If it bothers you that much, buy the cheapest oil and flush and flush it until it clears up (Rotella is cheap). If it does not ... you have other problems (clutch worn, etc.)

Edited by supervokes
spelling

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's my clutch. I need a bigger socket than I have though, so I need to get the right size before I go and try to take my basket out.

EDIT: OK Now that I think of it, I've been running energy conserving oils for a while now until I found out they cause clutch slippage. Maybe that's what's behind the whole deal with my grey oil??

Yeah I'm gonna get that Rotella next time I get oil. Someone told me to get SuperTech 15W40 Diesel oil so I might get that also.

theyre pretty much the same, I use supertech because its costs 43$ for 20L whereas the rotella costs like 55$ for 20L, not a huge difference, but im a cheapass.

If the owner before you did not change it (believe it or not ... some people don't realize there is a seperate tranny oil to change) it will be grey for a while.

yup... I can confirm this, I bought a yz125 that was blown up and made it into a yz144 (hence my username)... well the guy I bought it from owned the bike for 3 years, and not once did he ever do an oil change, oil check, not even poured in a little fresh oil.. well one day the crank bearing finally seized. when I went to drain the bike, not even 100ml of the thickest, blackest, most burnt smelling, grossest oil ive ever seen came out. it stunk up my whole garage.

EDIT: OK Now that I think of it, I've been running energy conserving oils for a while now until I found out they cause clutch slippage. Maybe that's what's behind the whole deal with my grey oil??

Now what about this?

EDIT: OK maybe nevermind if grey oil is normal.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's my clutch. I need a bigger socket than I have though, so I need to get the right size before I go and try to take my basket out.

??

You know that the inner basket will NOT fit throught the round clutch cover right?? You need to remove the side case to get it out. ๐Ÿ™‚

yup... I can confirm this, I bought a yz125 that was blown up and made it into a yz144 (hence my username)... well the guy I bought it from owned the bike for 3 years, and not once did he ever do an oil change, oil check, not even poured in a little fresh oil.. well one day the crank bearing finally seized. when I went to drain the bike, not even 100ml of the thickest, blackest, most burnt smelling, grossest oil ive ever seen came out. it stunk up my whole garage.

Yup ... seems we all have one of these stories. A good friend of mine bought a CRF450R off a young guy. Brought it over to change the oil ... engine side looked good ... tranny side was OBVIOUSLY never done. Its looked like thick grey grease coming out. Exact same as you described above ๐Ÿ™‚ His basket was notched as well ... oil never changed "might" have something to do with it. :-) :banana::ride:

You know that the inner basket will NOT fit throught the round clutch cover right?? You need to remove the side case to get it out. ๐Ÿ™‚

That's no biggie. I've done my water pump, so it wouldn't have been the first time I've took the right crankcase cover off. :banana:

the most annoying part of getting the crank case cover off, IMO, is taking that damn rear brake lever off with a 8mm allen key๐Ÿคฃ

Actually a bit of truth to that .... on my old 450X, the brake lever was a P.I.A. to get off. Realized after it came out there was a cotter pin on the back :banana:. Destroyed all the threads. Lucky they make Helicoils ๐Ÿ™‚