New 2010 Husquvarna 510TE falling apart !!!

I can feel your frustration but KTM is not any better, every single brand as their own problems, i just ran a search with the word falling under KTM and had more then 9 pages,Yamaha 178 hits with falling apart, 48 for Kawi, 52 hits for Honda 450r alone.

Like many member pointed out already the Kid at the dealer shop is probably guilty ? . When i received my bike i did double check every single bolt/nut and used loctite and proper torque setting after first ride, not a single bolt as felt off yet.

I also did follow suggestions here for common problem http://www.dirtbikemagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=FE11D727959B4C2AA7906490B9DED4BD

I used to own a Harley Davidson and all my friends were pulling my leg about loosing bolts and oil, i lost 1 bolt and 1 mirror( just the glass) in more then 60,000 miles and never marked her spot when parked :banana:.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of funny, but I use to always joke around that it's better to buy a used 6 month old Dirt Bike from someone who only rode it every other week.

This way all the stuff people in this tread are pointing out has already been taken care of by the original owner and you end up with a bike with all the bugs taken care of.

Also, if you are in the market for a new motorcycle make sure to do your research on the dealer. Talk to your friends and get their advice and experience dealing with the dealer selling the bike.

I no one has an answer then go to the dealership and hang out for an hour and talk to their customers at the parts counter. Ask them about their experience with the dealer and would they recommend buying a new bike from them.

If your son is that hard on bikes and likes to ride motocross then maybe a dualsport

isn't the right choice of bikes for him.

I remember reading a review of the TE310 or 450 on one of the on-line mags and one

of the things they praised the Husky for was the quality of the street legal accessories

compared to the KTM's which they said fell off immediately. I'm assuming you're of the

"ride it hard" break in method as apposed to the "take er easy" method ?

Sorry but sounds like unrealistic expectations to some extent. A wheel only dents from hitting something. Period. Warranty claim!! lol sorry but that is one of the rider's fault. Not looking down on ya for denting a wheel, everyone does it. But wanting WARRANTY!!? Sounds like nighmare-customer-territory and honestly speaks volumes to me about the rest of the complaints. I gaurantee you I can jump any kind of oem turnsignal or horn clean off a bike on a rough moto track in two hours or less. Gauranteed.

Sounds like you guys ride hard. You've exceeded some of the design limitations on a street-legal offroad bike. And had a few quirky-but-normal break-in problems. And caused some yourself through normal usage.

But "falling apart"? Really? I'm no Husky protectionist but I think you're overexpecting and over-reacting.

Just so we're all on the same page I don't think we want this a beat-up on the new guy thread.

Personally it sounds like a combination of things, one being the expectations of the new owner and possibly the dealer not doing a full set-up on the bike.

I've also seen where the sales guy in the dealership really wanted to close the deal near the end of the day and he ends up pushing the bike that was on the showroom out the door... only problem is most of the time the show room bikes just thrown together to fill floor space.

Yeah I'm sorry to come across like that but the warranty thing on the wheel took my mind to streetbike hell:banghead:. lol. Sorry to blow up! I always lack tact!

For pure moto there are definately better more durable choices. I think the dirt bike parts of the TE are as durable or better than any.

Sort out the details and enjoy!

Guys.... I'm real familiar with MX bikes. That's not what we bought, or wanted. Heck, they're a lot cheaper !!!

Yes, we put in a warranty claim. I'll put in a few more on the the parts that fell off, and expect the same reaction. I paid a premium for a bike that HAS A WARRANTY. I file claims for the stuff that breaks, in accordance with the warranty THAT I PAID FOR.

If I was some hell-ish customer, I'd keep filing claims until I could drop the bike on their doorstep under California's "Lemon Law". I'm going to guess that won't be so hard with this machine.

We're at the MX tracks because we like it, they're close, and it's good place to sort out the bike before getting 100 miles from nowhere in Baja California. So, please, enough with that. It's obvious it's too precious for MX. If I modified it a bit, it would probably be ok.

To those who don't think it's a big deal for these parts to fall off (only blown engines, etc, are important), let's just say I disagree. Thanks for your point of view. I suspect that the police will share my view that those lights / horns should be attached and working ;-)

The bike has a number of design and assembly flaws, more than I'm accustomed to. I can't imagine a Yamaha WR450 or Honda CRF450X having the headlight and horn fall off in the first couple hours of operation.

Clearly, only the single bike that we have matters to us. It has fallen short of expectations. I will fix the problems. That doesn't mean a warranty repair, putting the same garbage part on again to leave us stranded again in the future. Like the battery mount I built, I'll do the same for the headlight, or go to Baja Design just up the street from my house in San Diego county, and see what they have that, no doubt to me, will be a major improvement over the Husky product.

I remember reading a review of the TE310 or 450 on one of the on-line mags and one

of the things they praised the Husky for was the quality of the street legal accessories

compared to the KTM's which they said fell off immediately. I'm assuming you're of the

"ride it hard" break in method as apposed to the "take er easy" method ?

Great. So this is as good as it gets? Reminds me of the bad old days in MX bikes when they all came with throw away bars and chains.

Hard or easy break in? Idling around letting the motor get hot is not an easy break in. Keep it within temps, keep fresh, clean oil in it, and filters changed/cleaned, then get the rings seated (super fast with modern pistons, rings, and cylinder finishes), and ride it like it was designed. We run Mobil 15W50 synthetic (SG rating, not "energy conserving") for the wet clutch.

I'll post some pics in a few days. Still boating.

Guys.... I'm real familiar with MX bikes. That's not what we bought, or wanted. Heck, they're a lot cheaper !!!

Yes, we put in a warranty claim. I'll put in a few more on the the parts that fell off, and expect the same reaction. I paid a premium for a bike that HAS A WARRANTY. I file claims for the stuff that breaks, in accordance with the warranty THAT I PAID FOR.

If I was some hell-ish customer, I'd keep filing claims until I could drop the bike on their doorstep under California's "Lemon Law". I'm going to guess that won't be so hard with this machine.

We're at the MX tracks because we like it, they're close, and it's good place to sort out the bike before getting 100 miles from nowhere in Baja California. So, please, enough with that. It's obvious it's too precious for MX. If I modified it a bit, it would probably be ok.

To those who don't think it's a big deal for these parts to fall off (only blown engines, etc, are important), let's just say I disagree. Thanks for your point of view. I suspect that the police will share my view that those lights / horns should be attached and working ;-)

The bike has a number of design and assembly flaws, more than I'm accustomed to. I can't imagine a Yamaha WR450 or Honda CRF450X having the headlight and horn fall off in the first couple hours of operation.

Clearly, only the single bike that we have matters to us. It has fallen short of expectations. I will fix the problems. That doesn't mean a warranty repair, putting the same garbage part on again to leave us stranded again in the future. Like the battery mount I built, I'll do the same for the headlight, or go to Baja Design just up the street from my house in San Diego county, and see what they have that, no doubt to me, will be a major improvement over the Husky product.

Bought a 2008 TE 250 from Uptite Husqvarna in Santa Ana from George Erl. Nothing's fallen off or broken. Took it to Mexico with him and 10 other guys and it made it fine from SV to Mike's with me, a pretty newby rider onboard.

Gave it 600 mi of easy riding to break in (as requested) and now am breaking in a new Athena 300 kit. Just matching anecdotes but admittedly different bikes and different dealers and somewhat different situation.

Good luck.

We are not trying to give you a hard time Tony and we are not saying its your fault for taking it on an MX track and the parts not living up to your expectations, what we are getting at is its not a Husqvarna problem, its a Dealer / Assembeler problem!!!..... As many (including myself) and the quote below have stated, we have not had these problems such as horns, tail light assembely, headlight assembly, bolts ect falling off so this cant be a manufacture problem (well maby the horn?)!... As far as warrenty claims for all this goes, the wheel will should be directed at the wheel manufacture not the bike manufacture, husqvarna will do little to help with the warrenty of someone elses product, the 24month Husqvarna warrenty only coveres Manufactures faults and defects, eg, your speedo will play up after a big wet ride, that is covered!!... swing arm cracked within 3 rides, that will be covered!!..... Your horn might be covered because thats a manufactures defect(if its true the bracket just snapped off)!!... However your tail light(if it just fell off), any lost bolts, or lost plastics will not be covered..... not sure if the husqvarna manual says it(im sure it will) but pushbikes, motorbikes, quads of all different brands will have stated in the user manual "IT IS YOUR RESPONSABILITY AS THE OPPERATER OF THIS VEHIECLE TO PERFORM CERTIAN CHECKS AFTER AND PRIOR TO USE" may not say it in those words but these checks do include BOLTS etc

take this for example... your car is 4 hours old and u pop your tyre, You take your car to a mechenic to have a tyre changed, the apprentice mechenic didnt tighten the bolts up enough with a breaker bar, you traveled 15 miles down the road and your wheel fell off..... This is not a manufacture fault, its the idiot who did the bolts up!!...

Bought a 2008 TE 250 from Uptite Husqvarna in Santa Ana from George Erl. Nothing's fallen off or broken. Took it to Mexico with him and 10 other guys and it made it fine from SV to Mike's with me, a pretty newby rider onboard.

Gave it 600 mi of easy riding to break in (as requested) and now am breaking in a new Athena 300 kit. Just matching anecdotes but admittedly different bikes and different dealers and somewhat different situation.

Good luck.

I have had some issues with my '09 TE510, but I bought it brand new for only $7,700!

-All the nuts and bolts were looser than they should have been

-Both my rear turn signals fell off first ride

-Fuel pump leaked and needed to be replaced around 1k miles

-The battery housing isn't looking too good

I am hoping they fixed the fuel pump isse for the '10, but my dealer (Toy Tech in PA) was great and fixed everything for free or very reduced price. Sounds like your dealer is not as good.

Who knows what BMW/Husqvarna is trying to do with their brand, but one thing is for sure-- they need to get rid of bad dealerships. They don't have brand recognition like Honda, and it seems they are working out some design issues in their new bikes. They need dealers who support the customer and report problems with the product.

It also sounds like you got hosed by the warranty. Does Husky offer a warranty, or was this through the dealer?

I have had some issues with my '09 TE510, but I bought it brand new for only $7,700!

I was going to say that you don't have California taxes, but the taxes over there are probably as crazy! We had them include the cost of an IMS tank (not installed yet), a plain front number plate for track days (also not on yet), Husky decals from 2009 bike for the IMS tank, and a Husky t-shirt. Bike was $7900 plus taxes, fees for the license plate, and a California off road sticker ($50... don't need this on a street legal bike, unless you're riding without the street legal stuff in California).

We tried the other dealer near downtown San Diego, and got about the same price. Neither offers Husky only service. I'm sure we could have shopped around a bit more, but I prefer to buy locally.

-All the nuts and bolts were looser than they should have been

-Both my rear turn signals fell off first ride

-Fuel pump leaked and needed to be replaced around 1k miles

-The battery housing isn't looking too good

So, within 5 hours, I have 3 out of 4 of the issues you've had. I'll look forward to a fuel pump problem. I wonder what other pumps I can find that can do the same job at a lower weight. That pump is RIDICULOUS in weight.

It also sounds like you got hosed by the warranty. Does Husky offer a warranty, or was this through the dealer?

It's the Husky warranty. They turned us down for the wheel (that was fine, 'cuz it could be "normal wear and tear"), and I have not yet applied for warranty on the other issues.

I looked at the linked video with Scott Summers. Great pointers on the bike. I might make a trip up to Santa Ana, California, to check out that dealer.

Edited by Tony Williams

You should start building a relationship with Paul and Grant at GP Motorcycles. Motoforza is horrible. Paul and Grant have treated me very well with the many problems that I have had with my Husky. They are good people and run a shop the old school way.

Honestly- I have never expected any stock oem dualsport equiptment to last in real world conditions. NOT on a ktm, Not on a drz, and not on a Husky. I have never known anyone to run stock OEM lights and equiptment. SOme have left it on on drz's and ktm's and husky's till it got ripped off and they replaced with more flushmount or ruber mounted or nothing. Everything gets broke sooner or later. I have broke Ktm Headlights by running them into trees- I have done the same with my 09TE450 and did not have a problem... does that mean its better? Nahh... just huskyluck.

I took off the stock tail light "assembly' and put on the included LED tail before I rode any woods. I took off the stock blinkers as well. They are showroom in condition and never broke and are in a box on the shelf. - I have broke my quality "shouldn't break" electosport lights- because they were exposed to trail and slammed between an OAK and the fork tubes. They failed to survive. ?

I have broke the horn mount- I noticed it after I also did some jumps on a track (I am not a mx guy) but I probably also have weakend it by hitting trees or something at some point., Didn't give it a thought- disconnected the wires and put it in my backpack- actually kinda proud to have broken it. I welded it at home- ground it doun to look stock and painted it black. has been fine since. Me and my buddies kinda get ah struck by each others ability to break things that should not be broken- this stuff is nothing to brag about.

AS far as set up- I don't trust anyone else to set up a bike. I'd go over it no matter what or who they are- its my time on the trail that would be lost.