07 250 XCFW leaking engine oil

Hi guys

I have a 2007 KTM 250 XCFW. Last weekend I was out riding witha friend, after opening the bike up along a dirt road for +-4km I stopped, noticing copious amounts of oil on my left boot, left side of swingarm and wheel. The bike seemed fine, besided a slight loss of power at top end during the ride which made me wonder, hence stopping a bit later.

After taking a look I noticed the breather pipe which comes out the top of the left side of the engine, which is connected to outlet into the air filter box (on the outside of the filter), seems to have been the source of the oil spillage.

I assumed I'd overfilled the engine oil, so emptied what was remaining in the engine, which was only om around 300ml's of oil.

Is the spillage a result of over filling? There doesn't seem to be any other problems with the bike. I kicked her up briefly and she started fine. I did notice a week before after filling her that she struggled to idle, but this seemed to sort out after cleaning the spark plug.

Any advice? I dont want to take the bike in for a service if it's just a case of changing the oil filter and refilling the oil to the correct capacity.

Looking forward to your responses.

it was either over filled or the top end is shot and getting blow by which pressurizes the motor and pushes the oil out like this, these would be the two most likely things. The stock top end will last about 50 hrs for racing and 100 hrs for trail riding. If you dont know the hours then you will have to do a compression test.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys

K, it's a few months later I know, but to follow up what went wrong and a moersa lot of $$$ later:

The flywheel nuts came loose, stripped and shredded, which tore up the stator. Parts of the shredded nuts blocked the flow of oil through the engine, resulting in the top part of the engine by the cam shaft, etc, burning out, along with a whole lot of other issues.

Result - basically a new engine.

Busy running in the bike as we "speak".

Conclusion: If you find your engine oil has come out your breather pipe into your airfilter box, STOP and take your bike in. This is due to the oil vacuuming back through the engine due to blockage.

Not cool, but now I know what to look for and will be definitely servicing more often than not to prevent this happening again.