KTM LC4 '01 - engine stops while driving, when engine is half-warm.

Hi

When I have ridden for a while, then stop for some time, then start riding again, the engine just shuts down (after riding for a few hundred meters). This seems to occur when i change gears, and when I have some speed the engine fires, because it's rolling in gear, but it doesn't respond to throttle and just dies when i engage the clutch. Often, but not always, after this happens, the indicators and ride-computer dies. I have to turn the ignition on and of to be able to fire up the start engine.

The problem started a few rides ago, and is restricted to a luke warm engine.

Any ideas? Has anyone had similar issues and want to share the knowledge?

Thank you very much!

wow,

do you think it has to do w/ ?

Spark

Gas

Electric System?

Sounds like the last one?

I don’t think this occurs w/ a weak battery

what does your spark plug look like?

Is your idle set high enough?

Is there a short in the electrical system?

Did this start after you wiped out, what were the circumstances prior to this happening?

My bet is a poor connection in the ignition-switch or something similar. After some online searching I've found that it's not uncommon on these bikes. A lot of people have had their bikes die when turning the handlebars hard. That made me think. When I first start riding I'm 1) in suburbia 2) on a cold bike and 3) not warm myself, so I'm always kinda gentle on the gas. The hardest acceleration I get is often back onto bigger roads after a tanking. So maybe it's some electrical short that happens under hard acceleration. Or maybe when the front suspension dip, which occurs when going from hard acceleration to a gear change.

The plug is not old, and the last one I discarded looked great. Gas doesn't seem to fit.

In one coffees time I'll head down to the garage and start picking it apart and look close on those wires and switches (ignition and kill).

If I figure this out, I'll of course post the solution.

Still, if anyone has any other suggestions I'd much appreciate them.

wow,

do you think it has to do w/ ?

Spark

Gas

Electric System?

Sounds like the last one?

I don’t think this occurs w/ a weak battery

what does your spark plug look like?

Is your idle set high enough?

Is there a short in the electrical system?

Did this start after you wiped out, what were the circumstances prior to this happening?

My bet is a poor connection in the ignition-switch or something similar. After some online searching I've found that it's not uncommon on these bikes. A lot of people have had their bikes die when turning the handlebars hard. That made me think. When I first start riding I'm 1) in suburbia 2) on a cold bike and 3) not warm myself, so I'm always kinda gentle on the gas. The hardest acceleration I get is often back onto bigger roads after a tanking. So maybe it's some electrical short that happens under hard acceleration. Or maybe when the front suspension dip, which occurs when going from hard acceleration to a gear change.

The plug is not old, and the last one I discarded looked great. Gas doesn't seem to fit.

In one coffees time I'll head down to the garage and start picking it apart and look close on those wires and switches (ignition and kill).

If I figure this out, I'll of course post the solution.

Still, if anyone has any other suggestions I'd much appreciate them.

Okay, I put handlebar risers on and my bike would stall out when turning to the right.. .that was caused because it would pull the de-compression valve on the left by the clutch. this was resolved by moving the cables around.

Yeah, I like the theory w/ the kill switch.. seems weird but Im tuned in.

• 4 weeks later...