KING of STUPID idea's?

Bought some new sprockets and a chain for my wife's drz last week, stock gearing for an S model. Long story short, I ordered 2 rear sprockets, a 44 and a 41 by mistake. We are gonna be making a long trip in a few weeks that will require an 800 mile pavement run to get to where we are going.

Now the stupid part, because I got to thinking....

I can make the 15/41 work for the road with a 110 link chain, better for road.

When we get the long pavement finished, I could change to the 15/44 and add two links back in with two masters, better for the gravel and off road parts.

At the end of the ride I could reverse it again....

Is double the chance on a clip master worth it?

Let me have it...🙂

The only time I could see that this method would be an issue is if you run the 41 tooth long enough without switching to the 44 that the chain is getting worn and you then have a new sprocket with a worn chain that has a short unworn spot in it. Even then I really doubt it would break, but it could cause some accelerated wear issues. Swapping back and forth more frequently would just make everything wear evenly.

If you intend to do this keeping a close eye on the chain condition and perhaps changing the chain when it first starts to 'stretch' (wear out) should save you annoyance down the road. Typically my last 2 chains went roughly 4000 miles before starting to stretch and by 8000 km were fairly much done. This involved a lot of off road use.

Thanks for the reply's fellers...

I just didnt know for sure if this was a known issue. We are running the Continental Divide Ride in a few weeks, so basically she will be running the stock gearing for 2700 miles if all works out to plan. The change would only occur going to the start of the ride, and returning to the truck from where ever we end up, at the end of the trail or time deadline. I am not so concerned about sprocket and chain wear, as I will most likely replace when we get back home.

Just as long as it makes it.....🙂

I think I will try it...

Bought some new sprockets and a chain for my wife's drz last week, stock gearing for an S model. Long story short, I ordered 2 rear sprockets, a 44 and a 41 by mistake. We are gonna be making a long trip in a few weeks that will require an 800 mile pavement run to get to where we are going.

Now the stupid part, because I got to thinking....

I can make the 15/41 work for the road with a 110 link chain, better for road.

When we get the long pavement finished, I could change to the 15/44 and add two links back in with two masters, better for the gravel and off road parts.

At the end of the ride I could reverse it again....

Is double the chance on a clip master worth it?

Let me have it...🙂

If you are doing the trip on a fully ladden bike ,with standard engine , you may struggle with the taller gearing ....Perhaps you should test trial before you leave?....

If you are doing the trip on a fully ladden bike ,with standard engine , you may struggle with the taller gearing ....Perhaps you should test trial before you leave?....

Seems like a biskin' good idea to me.. 😏