How to put on a motocross race?

I would think it would be time consuming, difficult and $. Try sending an email to someone at d37 or a local club that puts on races, I'm sure they could give you a short version of what hoops there are to jump through.

A friend of mine created his own motocross track. It started out as a place to practice. Over time he turned it into a full blown races every week track. He spent over a decade building that track and even longer turning it into a regular race spot.

He had the benefit of having access to farm equipment to help build the track. You probably won't so you can expect a large investment just in equipment. I know he also had to buy a water truck, water tanks, and dig a well so he could wet down the track.

Then you have parking areas marked off, an announcer's tower, etc...

I don't have the slightest clue what insurance (liability) and other ongoing costs he has but that kinda comes after you have an actual track.

<edit>

If you are just putting on a race I guess you don't have as much to deal with but you will certainly need some sort of comprehensive insurance.

Edited by JamesD

Are you looking to host your own event on your own property or use an established track?

If you are looking to use a track like Racetown, LACR or Competitive Edge, contact them. They can get you the rates to rent the track, as well as answer your other questions about insurance (buy into theirs for a day?) and employees (bring your own or hire theirs). They handle this all the time with different series visiting their tracks, as well as any house series that they run.

Are you looking to host your own event on your own property or use an established track?

If you are looking to use a track like Racetown, LACR or Competitive Edge, contact them. They can get you the rates to rent the track, as well as answer your other questions about insurance (buy into theirs for a day?) and employees (bring your own or hire theirs). They handle this all the time with different series visiting their tracks, as well as any house series that they run.

yeah it would have to be at an established track. i wish piru would be open to it.....

If that is the area, look into the old I-5 MX. They are still renting it out. VCMC had their Qualifier stage out of the track, and Prospectors is there next weekend for a MX race and their GP in November.