sheared cylinder head stud - HELP!

This ever happend to anyone before?

Have just finished installing my top end, piston and rings rebuild, renewed the 2 rubber o'ring gaskets - started to refit the cylinder head but found when slowly tighting in the criss cross manor (following the recommended manufactor's 28nm torque settings all the way) that 1 of the head studs snapped off!! 🙂

Took a deep breath, had a moment where i felt like setting fire to the bike... but then decided to post on thumper for advise before lighting the match...

Do these studs unscrew or am i looking at a new head? whats the best way of correcting this?

Thanks..

The studs thread in the cylinder. Once your remove the head, there may be enough sticking up to grab with something and remove it. It might be worth replacing all of them. They are cheap and if one broke, its possible you may have overstressed the others.

Rcannon,

Good shout, yes i'll end up replacing them all once i figure out how to get them out. there is enough thread with the cylinder head removed to grip - but i want to get it right first time. Was thinking of maybe rolling 2 nuts down the thread then using a wrench to reverse the stud... any ideas?

penetrating lube is catch 22 with broken bolts....it always helps loosen them but then might not let you grip it, if only a little piece is sticking out....

if theirs nothing to grip with pliers, or weld a nut to it-Im a fan of drill it and ez out