cost to mount tires on sm

i just bought a 2007 drz400sm with just under 6k miles and it needs a rear tire really bad and the front tires got a little left in it but im just gonna do both tires at once. to save some money im gonna buy michelin pilot powers from motorcycle superstore.com. i was gonna go for the avon distanzias but came to the realization im never gonna go offroad so why fool myself. if i take the wheels off myself and bring them to a motorcycle shop to get the new tires mounted and balanced what should i expect to pay? i live in northern nj near nyc. thanks for the help-tim

well if you take em to the "bike shops " around her they charge by the hr. so it can be high. but i have a buddy that owns a tire shop and he treats em like a car tire, he usually charges $10 a piece. and thats a dismount , mount and balance.so if you can find a tire place thatsl take the job, it may be cheaper. only thing special he has is the adapter to balance the motorcycle tires.

Tim,

Im in Prospect Park,next to Paterson,my neighbor had new tires mounted on his gixxer recently and got prices from 80 to 120 bucks to mount a pair.Of course they hit you heavy when you bring your own tires.I think he ended up letting motorcycle mall in Belville do it. showed me the new tires mounted and I noticed no weights on the front.I checked it on my static balancer,and it was out,so I balanced it for him.Be careful,a lot of these dealerships suck.Were are you in NJ? Jeff

Should be $15 there is different cost for dirt bike and street bike. Make sure they charge for dirt and don't change the tube. They will tell you that every time you need a new tube. No no no. I get free service be suprized if you bring them food sometimes they don't charge.

i just bought a 2007 drz400sm with just under 6k miles and it needs a rear tire really bad and the front tires got a little left in it but im just gonna do both tires at once. to save some money im gonna buy michelin pilot powers from motorcycle superstore.com. i was gonna go for the avon distanzias but came to the realization im never gonna go offroad so why fool myself. if i take the wheels off myself and bring them to a motorcycle shop to get the new tires mounted and balanced what should i expect to pay? i live in northern nj near nyc. thanks for the help-tim

Pick up the phone and shop around...🙂

I am in the same area...Avoid Circle Cycle on Grand Ave in Ritchfield Park (I think it is over there). They charged me 90 bucks to do a pair of tires that were off the bike already. Worst part is they didn't even remove the old spoke weights and the new weights must be off because the bike shakes non stop.

Im too anal to let any dealership work on my SM.I bought mine back in 07 from Pompton Honda,on the ride home the speedo cable fell out of the instrument cluster,so Im riding along trying to hold the cable from getting caught up in the front spokes! They just didnt have time to tighten up the connector I guess.Later that night I found most of the cables not running through the cable loom like there suppose to.Far too many stories for me.I just mounted a new set of Pilot powers myself,Id rather spend money on a bead breaker,and tire irons,and not have my excel rims scratched up by some kid in the back room of a dealership.

I live in a small town and there are only two place that mount motorcycle tires and both charge wayyyy too much.

I bought 2 of these tusk heavy duty irons for less than having one tire mounted. I bought two new tires for my DRZ, and mounted them very easily having never done it before. I did not have them balanced, I feel no vibration, but I might of just got lucky 🙂

http://www.amazon.com/Tusk-17-Mega-Tire-Iron/dp/B002DUX340

I do it myself and don't have a problem without balancing. You just need to get creative to break the bead without a proper bead breaker; it's easier with two people.

I use 2 DRC tire spoons and soapy water, that's it. Then take it to a gas station air pump to set the bead.