Highway gears

I've got a 87 xr200r licenced for the street and I want to re gear it. It seems like the cheapest and easiest way to do so would be to change out the front sprocket. Is that the right way to do it? Should I change the rear instead? What problems might I have with either choice?

I do not think the XR200 is going to very comfortable at highway speed anyway, but would great little bike to connect trails or short ride around town. That said try 1 larger in the front, that would be the same as going 3 teeth down in the back but makes switching much easier & cheaper.

What is your current gearing and what are hoping to gain?

I rode an 83 XL200R around Seattle for years and felt the stock 13/45 gearing was great for that bike. 1st and 2nd had plenty of grunt and top gears ran smooth all day long.

50mph was about all it had but around town and across the viaduct or west Seattle bridge it was fine.

I did re-jet,open the airbox and add a Supertrap for a little more snap when I bought it.

It's got the stock 13/47 gearing now. It's freakin awesome on the trails like that, not so awesome on the street which I've been doing alot of. It buzzes quite abit around the 40's and smooths out some at 50 but it's still wound up more than I'd like it to be. I was leaning toward going up a tooth in the front but didn't know if it was a good idea. I would want to just get two front sprockets and one rear, and swap if I was planning on doing a lot of one type of riding or the other. But now I'm wondering what chain setup I would have to have for that. Would I need two masterlinks right next to eachother? Or would the adjusters on the axle be enough to compensate for the one tooth up front?

I don't think it is possible to get gearing high enough for the highway on a xr200....

I just don't think it has the power or weight to do it..

I had a DRZ400... and it was pretty scary and still buzzy with 15/38 gearing with super moto wheels

I like the bike just fine for the highway, I mean I've never ridden anything else on the street so maybe I just don't know better lol. I just wanted to drop the RPMs a bit since it needs a new chain and sprockets.

I just now noticed that dave18 answered my chain question before I asked it. lol I can't believe I missed that. I guess I'm set now. Thanks guys

You should be able drop the rear to a 45 tooth without replacing your chain.

The difference between the 47 and 45 in minor.

If the chain is really old you might want to replace it anyway. Most shops will install it for free if you buy the chain from them, no need to buy a splitter.

I don't think it is possible to get gearing high enough for the highway on a xr200....

I just don't think it has the power or weight to do it..

I had a DRZ400... and it was pretty scary and still buzzy with 15/38 gearing with super moto wheels

Gee that's weird. My XR350 with 14/37 is relaxed as heck at highway speed. Of course it's a 6 speed, but you still had higher overall gearing. Smooth and easy.