Flywheel weight for 2002 CRF 450r

I just bought a 2002 crf 450r and was wondering what else I can do to keep it from dying at low RPMs while trail riding. I bought a 52 tooth rear sproket and dont really want to change the gearing any more as not to sacrifice top speed. Everyone has said to add a weighted flywheel, but ai am having trouble finding them online. Any other suggestions? Can I swap transmissions with a 450x?

Thanks,

Eric

I got mine from rockymountain. Steahly 33oz. They have them in stock right now. I loved mine. Now I have a RevLok Dyna-Ring and no longer need the weight. The steahly is a direct replacement heavier flywheel. PM me if you want to buy mine I'll sell it with the flywheel pull too.

How much difference did the larger sprocket make when riding slow, tight trails? Wondering if I should do the same. And as for losing your top speed, not sure thats possible with the 450. I hit roughly 70 on a dirt road in third gear, had two more to go but didnt even want to try.😏

How much difference did the larger sprocket make when riding slow, tight trails? Wondering if I should do the same. And as for losing your top speed, not sure thats possible with the 450. I hit roughly 70 on a dirt road in third gear, had two more to go but didnt even want to try.😏

??? You sure you weren't overestimating that speed...?

Also, where in MO do you live?

The X transmission will not fit, but a wide ratio gear set is available that add about 20% to the top speed, so you can gear down first and not sacrifice top end. I have a set in my 02 and love it for where I ride.

ACTman: thanks for the info! Where did you find the wide ration gear set? I did a quick search online and all I can find is conversations about them. How much did you pay?

THanks!!

I went to the 52 tooth rear instead of the 50 stock and didnt change the front by recommendation of Honda...they said that if you go smaller on the front it will wear the chain guard faster than normal...not a big deal I suppose.

It made a little difference in the steep and tight stuff. The bike didnt stall as often.

I dont have a speedometer on the bike, but I would be very supprised if I could hit 70 in 5th!

I might have to do that them when this sprocket wears out. My buddy rides a quad and doesnt ride near as fast so im always stuck grabbing clutch or passing him and runnin away.

I had a computer made for a bicycle report 60mph which is what it was limited to so not positive. may have entered the wrong code for the tire size also. Just got the bike a month or so ago and not sure what all has been done to it either but i know its ball shrinking fast 😏

Im in Ballwin zip code, west st. louis county. not much riding around here without driving over an hour.

ACTman: thanks for the info! Where did you find the wide ration gear set? I did a quick search online and all I can find is conversations about them. How much did you pay?

THanks!!

I was so mad that no one made them any more that I designed and produced them myself. The new gears replace 2nd thru 5th. Since I am not an advertiser, I won't discuss pricing, etc. I will send you a PM with some details.

The problem with a wide ratio trans would be it would cost more than the bike is worth.

The main problem with stalling is the carb is usually the culprit. Simple tuning is all it takes. Getting the pilot jet sorted and the fuel screw dialed in will cure that stalling without spending be coup bucks on all kinds of stuff.