Yamaha S1 oil

I read that there are multiple weights available in this product but can't seem to find it labeled on the can. Anyone use this and what is the weight? I can't imagine using the same in the front and rear.

Yamaha S1 is same as KYB 01M, it is fork oil. KYB K2C oil is used in the shocks.

Hey Jusa, do you have a reference for that. KYB 01 = S1? I have been looking for that data with no luck for a long time.

The local Yami dealer told me that S meant synthetic.

Going off memory here, to the OP, if KYB=S1 then the centistokes are as

follows. ~15cst @ 40 cel. and ~3.45 @ 100 cel.

This is just my hunch, KYB might be a mineral base. I could not find a

data sheet on this. If it was synthetic it would be advertised on the bottle.

Such as S1 is. I could have KYB tested to see what group it falls into.

It could be just a group II. S1 could fall into a higher group which legally they can call it synthetic and it may not truly be synthetic. So my chemist buddy says. So if you want to send me a sample of KYB01 and S1, I can have them both tested. ?

I read that there are multiple weights available in this product but can't seem to find it labeled on the can. Anyone use this and what is the weight? I can't imagine using the same in the front and rear.

And why not?

I mean, let's open up this can of worms and ask what the real difference is between a thick and thin fluid and how it might differ between a fork and shock design.

What makes you think you need to run one or the other?

?

Isn't the point of "shock" fluid to be able to withstand viscosity and lubrication breakdowns associated with the extreme temperature within the shock. Take that aspect out and I don't see any point in labeling either anything beside suspension fluid.

Hey Jusa, do you have a reference for that. KYB 01 = S1? I have been looking for that data with no luck for a long time.

The local Yami dealer told me that S meant synthetic.

Going off memory here, to the OP, if KYB=S1 then the centistokes are as

follows. ~15cst @ 40 cel. and ~3.45 @ 100 cel.

This is just my hunch, KYB might be a mineral base. I could not find a

data sheet on this. If it was synthetic it would be advertised on the bottle.

Such as S1 is. I could have KYB tested to see what group it falls into.

It could be just a group II. S1 could fall into a higher group which legally they can call it synthetic and it may not truly be synthetic. So my chemist buddy says. So if you want to send me a sample of KYB01 and S1, I can have them both tested. ?

I don't have any data sheets about that, but I have done many brand new KYB forks and the fork oil is just like 01M and smells like 01M. When you see yamaha text on the label...that bottle costs a lot of $$$. I think Enzo oils are same as 01M. I havn't done any chemistry, but I am pretty sure those oils are same 01M high quality fork oil.

And why not?

I mean, let's open up this can of worms and ask what the real difference is between a thick and thin fluid and how it might differ between a fork and shock design.

What makes you think you need to run one or the other?

?

Well, It seems that suspension tuners are alot like scientist in that you get an answer at one time and then another answer another time ?

but for the most part thats what I have read(2.5s in the rear and 5ish in the front) and as kan3 mentioned more heat is generated in the shock so it seems that and longer lasting type oil for that application would make more sense.

not Jusa, but i guess you will acept info from me as well ?

http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid

Of course I accept info from you both!:ride::cheers: lol! I like to see the data sheet.

Also, that list does not have the S1 data. To the OP, you have a little S1 left

over, send some to me! I will run the numbers on it and tell you what group it falls into! .? PM me.

James

"Kayaba has been developepping in all this years of experience High quality oil for their suspensions. This is because they have developped their oils specifically for suspension use only. The oil viscosity , the additives, everything has been specifically selected just to reach one goal, the best oil for the best results. And so it has become! The original Kayaba oil is beeing used from developpment, to testing, from standard production to the World championship racetracks.

As you know, the oil quality has great influence on the way suspension work, its specifications mostly effects friction, oil flow, heat dispersion, parts lubrification...lets say performance in general.

All Kayaba suspensions are being developed from the beginning to be used with original oil.

All tests have been done by using the original oil, and best performance has been achieved by using the original Kayaba oil. By using original oil only you have gurantee that your suspension will perform the way they are ment to."

Ok James,

Thank you for this opportunity to get some chemistry, but I don't have any S1 oil at this time...I belive that sheet which frenzo just sent.

IMO KYB for KYBs, Öhlins for Öhlins etc...but I haven't tested 'em all...?

Jussi

Edited by Jusa

• 11 years later...
On 7/12/2010 at 7:30 PM, Jusa said:

Yamaha S1 is same as KYB 01M

On 7/12/2010 at 10:15 PM, jwaseman said:

do you have a reference for that. KYB 01 = S1

i know its an old thread. but just in case anyone else is looking for where this answer can be found.
kyb parts catalog says they are all the same fork oil, just renamed for each brand.

KYB = 01M
Honda = KHL15-11
Yamaha = S1
Kawasaki = MX05

kyb_oil.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 4:55 PM, chadk66 said:

I use spectro fork oil now. Have for quite awhile and it’s been great 

There is no room for error when recommended oils by manufacturers are used. CST40 C + addtives are more critical than just 5W or 10W. Regular 5W may be quite far from recommended one. 

2 hours ago, Jusa said:

There is no room for error when recommended oils by manufacturers are used. CST40 C + addtives are more critical than just 5W or 10W. Regular 5W may be quite far from recommended one. 

Spectro actually makes the oil for race tech and they put their label on it

• Helpful 1