RG3 vs Factory Connection

I am thinking of getting my 2010 rmz250 suspension reworked. Has anyone had their suspesion done by either company or perhaps someone else? How were the results? Any Complaints? All recommendations and imput is greatly appreciated!

Either will probably be fine. But consider this, Factory Connections customer service is second to none. Plus their set ups have always worked for me, and I've only seen one person's RG3 set up that sucked.

I use Factory Connection....and there customer service is top of the line....I found out that the more detailed you are about what you want your suspension to do and your riding skills.....the better they can set you up.... I called FC several times getting the suspension set up and after I got it on the bike....some of my questions might have been "dumb' or "silly"...but everytime they would talk to me and help me in any way possible.......thats worth alot............good luck....

I am thinking of getting my 2010 rmz250 suspension reworked. Has anyone had their suspesion done by either company or perhaps someone else? How were the results? Any Complaints? All recommendations and imput is greatly appreciated!

We have worked with both companies a few times in the past and I think both offer a high level of service and workmanship. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. ?

That said, stick to basics as there is seldom a need for a lot of the bolt-on items that can quickly take a $600 to $800 re-valve to the $1000+ level.

Now...are coatings worth it?

The answer is yes and no.

First of all, there are a host of simple and low cost things that you can do to radically reduce static friction in a design, long before you should consider the cost and benefits of a high end coating such as TiNi or DLC.

And it certainly doesn't make a whole lot of sense to spend $600 on DLC when your fork bushings are not properly matched to the tubes in the first place. Sort like running race gas in an engine that has poorly adjusted valves and an old spark plug.

Now...that aside, DLC and a host of other performance coatings do work, and they do offer a performance advantage. The bike will feel smoother and easier. No doubt about it. It's sort of like riding a bike that has freshly cleaned and oiled bearings.

Now...is the difference enough that you'll be a faster rider? Definitely not. In fact, if you had $600 to spend on something "performance minded" I think I would spend it on tires...or something that reduced un-sprung weight...or perhaps a Leatt brace. But if you want the best possible performance from everything, and your budget is really not an issue, than yes, it can be worth the money but only when done after all other friction reduction processes have been completed.

Just my two cents.

I think I have made the decision to go with FC, looking to get it shipped out next week. They quoted me $850 for the revalve, depending on whether or not I need to swap springs as well.

Sounds about right. Let us know what you think of the before and after.

They do good work! ?

I know this is "after the fact", but my RMZ-450 has RG3 suspension and I love it. Everytime i ride a freinds bike and then go back to mine I really appreciate just how nice it is.

Im sure both are great

You should be getting a hell of a lot more than a revalve for that kind of money. Even if they respring it, you are getting raped. I haven't spent that much in two years on my son's yz125 and we have it to the suspension guy 4 times a year for various maintenance. Find a local suspension guy in your area. Somebody that actually goes to YOUR tracks and can give you support trackside. Not sure why everybody is so hell bent on getting all these big pro level companies to do simple suspension work. Support the local business people. The work you send them, may make the difference in their business staying afloat or not.

have ridden a few of both............F.C is a more softer, plusher ride but when pushed its at its limit has a harder time staying in control.........rg3 while not as plush as FC, you can push it harder and it works better in that area........

Edited by dunn2500

I'm in no way affiliated with Dave J at Smart Performance but as far as customer service is concerned I've never dealt with someone so willing to help. Although Dave didn't technically rebuild my forks, he sold me all the parts I needed and held my hand through the rebuild process. The guy really knows his stuff. The best part was that it was a fraction of the cost you'd be paying to FC or RG3 and the results were spectacular.

guys, spoke with them again and it looks like it will be closer to $700 plus anything else I want to add. Also, the price does include more than just a revalve.

That's still WAY too high. Exactly what is included in "anything else I want to add?" For that kind of money, you should be getting a free hot tub too. Post an exact list of what is included, and then we'll see. Still sounds like a local guy can do way better. Even what MCrash said, the Smart guy seems to have a good rep on the board here. I would check with him first before dishing out $700. If you wanna throw money away, I will send you my mailing address, and you can throw it my way.

This is what I see from reading their page:

Rebuild costs $100 for either end and does not include any wear parts or oil. A revalve costs $180 and from I can tell doesn't include parts like ICS springs. Springs are coming in at $110 for each end compared to some places at $90-100.

Total price without any oil or wear parts replaced on a revalve/respring is $580. Shipping fully insured and packed well is around $100 at the most. That comes out to $680 and their own site states that oil will cost at least $25 or more on any bike. This means that they are either giving you a deal or $700 is not the "out the door price" so to speak.

I would bet that the $800-850 price was much closer with shipping.

My only guess is that both RG3 and FC are charging out the ying yang, due to the fact that they are big names. I am 2 years into suspension stuff on my son's yz125 and here is where i'm at with what our suspension guy has done. .,

--softer springs

--revalve

--2 rounds of seal replacements.

--1 round of bushing replacements

--In the shop 4 times for all of that so add in all the fluids and expendables that go with each of those service jobs.

I have only spent $600.

Not using him anymore as I am learning how to do suspension stuff myself. Hoping to go to one of the school's during the winter. Pretty neat stuff. Just resprung my son's new yz250f and did a test and tune day. Dialed in pretty good, he loves it. Maybe learn how to revalve with some aftermarket stuff. Good luck to you guys, again, feel free to send me your surplus moto-money.