Help me choose a 125 for HS please!

Hi folks,

Planning on buying a 125 2T this fall specifically for hare scramble racing. I have narrowed down my choices to a Yamaha and a Husqvarna CR. Besides handguards, I plan to do as little as possible to it right away, maybe get the suspension done for roots and rocks. Possibly in the future I would do a 144 BB kit. I have a couple of questions as I know nothing about 2Ts.

- Does anyone have anything to say about these bikes for offroad use?

- Which one would you buy?

- Should I even bother with the BB kit?

- Should I just hold out for a KTM 150XC?

Thanks a lot,

Kris

I'm looking at buying a 125 2T as well. Hopefully next weekend.

I'm mostly looking at late 90's/early 00's ones, most people say that they are all basically the same.

I would say buy it in the USA and bring it up.... you can make quite a bit of $$ doing that. Most 125's in the US are less than $1000.... you can ride it for a year or two up here, and then turn around and sell it for closer to $2000. I'm hoping to get a 125, ride it this summer/fall/spring of '11, then sell it at the beginning of the summer and go to a bigger bike.

My friend has a Yz125, 2006 I believe, and he LOVES the bike.

Suspension is nice, and he has had literally no problems with it. Just changes the oil and filter every 5-10 hours. I don't even believe he has changed the plug yet.

IMO, one factor you should take into your decision is how close is the nearest KTM/Husky/Yamaha dealer. Way back in 2004 when I was upgrading from a 100cc I was looking at a Husqvarna, KTM and a Kawasaki 250/300cc 2 stroke bike. One of the reasons why I went with the Kawasaki was because if something went wrong with the bike that I couldn't fix myself I wanted to make sure there was someone locally that could fix it. Now, I don't know where the nearest Husqvarna dealer is in So FL and I think there is a KTM dealer in Miami?

Kris are you looking to pick up a new bike or used? Right now you can get great deals on Husky's. I saw an add for a new 09 WR150 with FMF exhaust for $3,999.00. The bike was a new 125 with the dealer added Husky 144 kit. That would be an awesome woods weapon. I have the 08 Husky Cr 125 and love the bike. If I didn't have it I would be jumping all over the 144/150. I did ride a friends YZ125 it was pretty good but IMO not as good in any area over the Husky. I have also ridden a few KTM's ; my son had two. It's something about them in the handling department that just doesn't fit me. I haven't been on the 150 KTM but I have read it has great power. Bottom line I don't think for the money you can touch a modern Husky. Good luck in your quest.

- Does anyone have anything to say about these bikes for offroad use?

Both are good bikes.........

Which one would you buy? YZ, but only because yz parts are much easer to get here...

Should I even bother with the BB kit... If I thought I may want a 144 I'd just get the KTM 200xc

Should I just hold out for a KTM 150XC? NO!! get the 200xc

I think for the money, a Husky is the way to go. Whether you get the MX CR 125 or the off road WR 125, which is essentially the same thing, just a bit less snap. Parts are easier to come by than you think. Even if local dealer support is weak, there are dealers that live and breathe Husky and they also have online stores for anything you might need.

Thanks for all the info. I know that husky is coming out with a 150 in both the CR and WR. I am assuming that these bikes are almost identical aside from suspension but I can't find any specs anywhere. Does anyone have specs to compare these models??

What I don't want to happen is to buy a 125, convert it to HS racing and then find out I could have bought a 150/200 for the same cash minus the effort.

The WR's are for HS. The CR's are for MX. They both have the same 6 speed gear box, carb, and engines other than the ignitions being different. The Wr may have more FW weight. It also has a 18" rear tire and side stand. The WR's come with a front and rear light kit also. A friend of mine just got a 09 WR and I had a hance to ride it. The power is a little smoother than the CR's but it still rips on top. If you are looking for a woods weapon get one. Also like KcDavis said Husky parts are no problem with the dealers they have. I have the specs on the 09's and 10's if you need anything on them just ask. The 11's will be 144's called 150's.