The Powervalve issue

Hey Guys...

So i've done some reading on the Powervalve issue, i've got an 06 300 which I know hasn't had the mod done...

Have contacted some welders down here, one guy did the mod for a local dealership years ago but wasn't too clear on it when I spoke to hime, it was years ago apparently...

Anyone know someone who will ship the parts done and complete? I've emailed Bob as someone had previously suggested but not sure that he's that keen on the business just now, seems to be a long time coming...

Anyone else?

There is a guy on KTM Talk that sells them already welded up. If you get on KTM Talk, Bib Bikes, Two Strokes and post this question I am sure they will help you find him. I didn't see his add in the classifieds.

If you want ti get it done locally, it is a pretty simple weld job. You are just looking for a tack weld on the back side of the gear segment and then grind it off if necessary for clearance. You don't want a lot of heat to affect the rest of the gear segment, so TIG (or maybe MIG, I would go with TIG if I could) and definitely not Oxyacetylene, is in order. Anyone that welds with TIG should be able to do it.

I did two of them and here is a picture. I got carried away a little. You don't need this much area welded. This much weld, you don't need to go all the way around in a circle which risks warping the gear segment. All you need is one little tack on opposite edges of the pin where it comes through the gear plate on the back side. You could show a welder this picture and tell him the things just stated. If you have the newer style gear segment that is enclosed the weld is still the same.

DSC_0105.JPG

On another note, ****ed if I can get my KTMtalk login to work!!! I've emailed but no one has gotten back to me!!! The can't use a free email account is bogus, I use gmail as my real address!!!

The guys name is PlymouthRider and here is a link to his add there. However, you wont be able to see it unless you are logged on.

http://ktmtalk.com/pp_classifieds/showproduct.php?product=1229&cat=all

Sorry. I don't see an email link and I know see that he is a member here.

Got anyone that can get on KTM Talk for you?

Or, just get yours welded.

Hey Gary...

One more quick question... Do you need one for each side of the hug on the 300?!? There is a gear on each side but I haven't looked to see if there is an actuating arm and pin on each side...

Just use a hammer and peen the end of the pin a little bit. it really doesn't take much of a peen at all and it will not come out. I did that over 5 years ago and in over 10,000 miles it is still definitely not going anywhere.

That is a good idea and I am surprised it doesn't come up more in the forums. That is what I would do on non moving parts or tooling like a die or a locating jig with an over size hole for the dowel pin.

I would have thought the factory would have tried something like that too, like staking or pressing splines on the pin.

Peening is not an exact science though, requiring some skill. You can end up with a larger, but out of round pin of you peen the pin on the side of the pin before installation and a bent one if peening on the end after installation. It probably would work most of the time on the PV if you are good at it, but with all the vibration, movement there, and technique issues, as well as the ease of welding, I would weld it and have a sure thing. I don't think peening is for everyone. There is no way to know how well you secured the pin except your judgment and experience and even then I think it is questionable in this case.

Additional note, if the pin has some wear on it where it engages the spring you can just turn it around swapping ends before welding or peening.

Edited by Gary jp4