What is the function of this bolt?

Here is my problem, Just noticed that a previous owner welded over the hole. It's pretty obvious he hit it on the trail, pulled the bolt and repaired it with a weld. Unfortunately, I missed it while inspecting the bike. (Mostly covered by a skid plate) It was not JB. An actual aluminum weld that was nicely done and some time ago. What would you guys recommend? I am pretty upset by my findings...I normally catch things like this but this one got by.

D

To clarify. Under normal conditions there will not be oil at this plug because all the oil is in the frame. BUT, if there is no oil on the dip stick and there is oil at this plug, then it is OK to start the motor and run it long enough to check oil level at the dip stick.

As explained in prior post, under storage conditions the oil in the frame will migrate into the engine sump so the dip stick reads low when there may really be sufficient oil in the system once it gets pumped around to where it is suppose to be.

if it were me i'd leave it be as it's nothing critical and hardly noticeable except to you.

but if you have to change that case cover;remove the plastic water pump cover and glide plate,drain the motor oil and coolant,detach the rear brake pedal and radiator hose and set aside.then unbolt the cover.the water pump will need to be transferred.

if you're going to do it have a new gasket,coolant and oil ready for the task.it would also be a good opportunity to do all the loctite fixes at the same time.the stator cover gasket can be reused with a thin film of grease applied to both sides.