yz250 vs. cr250 vs. yz450

Here's my situation, as a present to myself I am selling my TTR 250 for cash to by a better desert/trail bike. I've had experience on older yz250's and a fully uncorked xr350. I'm 6' and growing so seat height is no problem, I weigh 200 with gear. I've considered a '00 yz250, a '98 cr250 and possibly a yz or wr 450. I ride a lot of sand and tight trails and some mx. Any other suggestions are welcome (Although I prefer yamahas as I've ridden them my whole life)

I love my 1998 Cr250 for trails it is great and it is very realiable and has ton of power and the handling is pretty good I have rode better. The only thing that I did not like when I got the bike was that the suspension it was stiff as heck but with adjusting with the clickers it feels pretty good. I never have rode a yz250 but I have always heard good things about trail riding on the bikes but me personal I like honda and that is what I like but really you probably can't go wrong with either one just look for the best deal.

I mostly ride trails on my CR250 and I always go with guys who ride 4 strokes (CRF250 & CRF450) so I will share my experiences/thoughts.

I've ridden an 05 YZ250 and I thought the powerband was a little more controllable than my Honda's.

My CR has never fouled a plug which has been great for trail riding (Very Reliable)

My buddy with a 450 4 stroke has to lean the bike on something and kick hard 6 times to get it goin....my 250 is usually up and goin 1-2 easy kicks anytime ๐Ÿ™‚

For long trips I carry a quart of premix so when we fill up I just mix while i'm at a gas station. It's a little bit of hassle compared to the 4strokes gas n go...but no big deal.

The cruisability of a 4 stroke would be nice on some of the long flat trails.

But from riding their 4 strokes, I love my 2 stroke more and more and more.....

Everything I've experienced with Honda is that they are rock solid, reliable, great handling bikes. But if you are blue blooded then I suppose you can't go wrong with a YZ250

haha everyone so far has pretty much voted 2 stroke. IMO 2 strokes are just more fun to ride than a 4 stroke.... good luck with your decision!!

Motor wise my old 97 cr250 was a beast, but it was like riding a 2x4, even with suspension work it was a chore to stay on for long periods of time.

I'm sure the yz450 has come far since 02 but the one I rode was more of a wide open track / dune weapon, waaay to much of a hassle for the trails.

My 00 yz has been the most versitile bike I have ever owned, The seat is super comfortable,the motor is damn close to the cr just not as harsh, and the handling is confidence inspiring.

While your looking at bikes in that price range take a look at the ktm 300's , their not great track weapons but they are rite in the middle of a 250 2t and a 450 4t.....but I'd still take my yz over it.

YZ250 since you're in ID and can ride a 'smoke.

I found that after riding 250 and larger smokes for years, when I switched from a 250F (my first "race" 4T) which I had to work pretty hard to keep the RPMs up in technical stuff to my 450F, I got lazy quickly on the 450 because it was stupid easy to ride.

I'm down to the two 2 strokes, so which one would do best as an all out desert bike

What year(s) are you considering? Honda had aluminum frames in the 90's while Yamaha didn't use them until 2005 I think...that might be something to consider.

I'd say go with which ever one you can get the best deal on, they're both great bikes ๐Ÿ˜

why do people even ask anymore :ride: everybody should be riding a YZ250 ๐Ÿ˜ the greatest dirtbike ever made and is a perfect choice for all riders ๐Ÿ˜:cheers:

wouldn't argue with that.

think about it,

yz250 STOCK =43horsepower and light weight:thumbsup:

yz250F stock =31horsepower and light weight

yz450f stock =50horsepower and heavier = more exhausted at the end of the day.

IF I were buying NEW, Id' say go for the YZ450

Between those 2 strokes, I would go with the YZ. Both bikes will need the suspension done for your skill and weight. But out of the box the YZ will be more forgiving. Id say the YZ would have a little bit better engine to work on for ease of doing things. OEM parts for the Yamaha will also be a bit cheaper. The only downside to the YZ is the steel frame, aluminum is one of those things where you can clean and for get it but the Steel frame takes a bit more TLC to prevent rust and other unwanted things.

...The only downside to the YZ is the steel frame, aluminum is one of those things where you can clean and for get it but the Steel frame takes a bit more TLC to prevent rust and other unwanted things.

Manufacturers all went to aluminum frames for a lot more reasons than ease of cleaning... ๐Ÿ˜

Manufacturers all went to aluminum frames for a lot more reasons than ease of cleaning... ๐Ÿ˜

The main reason was marketing hype. My Al frame yz might save a few pounds over a steel frame, but other than that, doesn't have too many other advantages imo. As far as weight goes, Ktm makes some of the lightest bikes while using steel frames.๐Ÿ˜

The main reason was marketing hype. My Al frame yz might save a few pounds over a steel frame, but other than that, doesn't have too many other advantages imo. As far as weight goes, Ktm makes some of the lightest bikes while using steel frames.๐Ÿ˜

Yes, the only minor differences we (riders) will most likely notice is flex or flickability, but I'm just saying that at an engineering/manufacturing standpoint, aluminum frames are most likely superior in many ways.

honestly I don't care about having an aluminum frame, all the bikes I have owned had steel frames and I have no problem with them.

I should be able to get a fairly good deal on a yz and pick it up within the next month... I cant wait!

Sweet deal!! Be sure to post some pics back on here!! ๐Ÿ˜

wouldn't argue with that.

think about it,

yz250 STOCK =43horsepower and light weight:thumbsup:

yz250F stock =31horsepower and light weight

yz450f stock =50horsepower and heavier = more exhausted at the end of the day.

IF I were buying NEW, Id' say go for the YZ450

+2, would not either ๐Ÿ˜

A 2005 YZ250 in stock-fit actually gives out a maximum 46.8 hp from 8800 rpm to 9100 rpm, according to the 2005 MXA report.