Multi-Layer Base gasket question

Hello all,

I have in my posession an oem multilayer S base gasket as well as a mulitlayer cometic base gasket. I am changing from a 450 cylinder w/JE Piston 13.5:1 CR to a Milenium 94 mm kit with JE piston. This kit is supposed to drop me down to 12:1. Is it acceptable/desired to use one layer for the base gasket in effort to up the compression somewhat, or should I avoid doing this? Would it be preferable to go with an E base gasket, or being that I already have 2 multilayer base gaskets, would it make more sense to seperate them? I don't want to have to do this twice so I figured I would ask first.

Thanks.

Well I can't answer that,but my question as well.I am going from 95.5 piston 13 to 1 to 94mm 13 to 1 .I just don't know when you get the set of gaskets if you leave them alone to get 13 to 1 or you start drilling out rivets and making a choice of 1 or 2 at the base.Apparently there are several factors that come to play.Hopefully we can get a answer that is realitivly an easy one to apply.

No, mine didn't get the chance,though it had 1200 mile sor so on it. I had oversized valves installed and they ended up hitting the relief cut outs on the piston.You know Eddie says the 450 kit is the most unreliable big bore out there.So I decided to go with the 434 13 to 1.Stock size valves by R.H.If you don't have the head ported and possibly the larger 41mm FCR,I was told it doesn't make alot of sence. So I'm thinking I'm not going to feel a difference in power espcially when I was probably running 12.5 to 1 before with the 95.5 piston.We will see.

• 3 weeks later...