05 KLX300r weird??

Just got an 05 KLX300r. It was running good. Then just before i went on a trip i took the but plug and the air box cover off. It was running a little ruff but not to bad so i went on the trip anyways ran ok until i got to high elevation arounrd 7000ft to 8500ft. Then started running really ruff, falls on its face when i juice it, hesitates, back fires every onces in a while. I figured it was just jetting. Drove it back to town around 2700ft. Next week took it for a quick ride around my naborhood still running rough same stuff going on??? So i put the air box cover back on and the butt plug back in took it for a short ride still ran rough. I noticed a black soot build up on the rear fender?? Any ideas? I was gonna just rejet it but the stock jet is 128 that should be ok at 2700ft. Im lost don't know were i should start. Any help would be much apreciated Thanks. It doesn't have the cali needle

Edited by codyklx300r

The stock carb starts out running on the lean side. Removing the butt plug and the airbox cover makes it even more lean. Running the bike in that condition is NOT GOOD for the engine.

Either get the non-California needle for the carb or better yet, the DynoJet kit for it.

Kawi part numbers for the non-Cal. needle

Needle 16009-1912

Brass Collar 92143-1667

Needle clip 92037-1401