Out with the 85 XR350 and in with the 91 DR350.....Did I do good??

Got tired of chasing problems with my 85 XR350 and had a pretty cherry Suzuki DR350 come up on Craigslist. Was listed at 6:30am and I was on it by 8am. The guy's phone kept ringing as I was looking at it. Wound up buying it for $800 and it runs like smooth butter. Are these good bike for the early 90's gerneration?? Thanks!

DR350.jpg

I had a pair of DR's both the 92 and 94. You could not kill them and they were suprizingly capable on pretty rough stuff. Heavy, but predictable and uber reliable! the only issue i ever had with the 92 was the starting drill - it did not have auto comp release head - so it was a bit more particular about how it started.

Get familiar with Jesse Kintz and kintech. He is the DR guru, has all sorts of nice upgrade and add on parts he invented, most dealing with specific weaknesses of the machine. . He also knows any and all about the beasts. He will take your phone call personally and spend alot of time explaining and helping you through.

sold both bikes last year and went to new KTM's - we just started racing and getting into really knarly stuff - I wasn't good enough to ride the DR through that stuff consistently.

Should have kept the Dr's for when company showed up!

Carl Johansson

congrats, their good bikes. bought a 93 dirt version 3 years ago for 960$ and im happy with it. its a good bike especialy for slow tight mountain trails. the supsension isnt the best for faster rocky type riding. its not the fastest bike but makes good torque down low. the 6 speed gearbox is great once you get used to it. starting sucks after a tipover other then that starting it isnt a problem once your used to it.

I've had a chance to really ride it and I'm very happy. It sat for about a year and was just dusty. I felt the motor and made sure it was ice cold. I had to rip on it about 8 times and it fired up. I can live with that. After it was warm, I was just trying to find TDC and it fired. The feel of the kicking/rotating over tells me it must have good compression. I can just rip over the XR350 without the comp release and this one takes some work. The brakes are really sweet and she'll flat pull the front off the ground.

KcDavis: The bike was bought and still lives in beautiful Bend, OR!!!

I have very happy. It looks like it's had a fairly easy life or was at least maintained well.

First thing I did was lose the hand guards so it doesn't look like such a "dad's" bike! lol

• 2 weeks later...

DR350's are rock solid bikes, they were used buy the guys in Terra Circa.

If you didn't know Terra Circa is a video of a bunch of guys that rode from London, across Europe, western Russia and Siberia, then embarked for Japan followed by the United States and Ended in New York. http://www.mondoenduro.com/terracirca.html

This trip was the inspiration for "The Long Way Down" with Ewan McGregor. Only the guys in Terra Circa weren't followed by support vehicles. Then I suppose none of the guys in Terra Circa were the same sort of security risk as Obi Wan Kenobi 😏