Handquards and throttle tube?

I need a new throttle tube since mine cracked and I'd also like to get some handguards. But I mostly ride my track and I don't want to leave the handguards on, I only want to put them on the few times a year I go trail riding. I know I need to cut the ends off my grips to allow the mounting hardwear for the quards to go into the bar ends, and I know I need to get a throttle tube that is open on the end too. My concern is sand getting in between the throttle tube and the bar, In the past I had a tear in the end of my grip and my throttle was always getting stuck with sand every time I'd lay the bike down. I don't see how I won't have the same problem, with a grip and throttle tube that have no end on them. But obvisouly lots of people are doing it and I don't hear of anyone having problems. I can see that when the guard is on, it somewhat acts as a cover for the bar end but when looking at a friends bike it looked like dirt whould still get in there easily.

Like I said most of the time I won't have the guards on ( for whatever reason I just don't like them but I know I need them for trail riding cause I've come close to smashing my hands on trees many of times) so I was thinking of getting one of the aluminum throttle tubes that have bearings in them and a removable end cap. Will having bearings in there make getting sand in them even more of a problem? And is the removable end cap something that can be put on and off if the end of the grip is cut off? Does it thread on? or does it just kind of pop in and the grip keeps it on, so it has to be put on before the grip and the grip end can't be removed. Lastly are the guards pretty quick to install and remove? I should mention I'm talking about the handquards with the alluminum bar not just the plastic ones. I'm leaning towards the Tusk D-Flex ones.

I run the plugs to lengthen the service life out of my grips and once in a while I use hand guards...I have crashed plenty of times on the throttle side and have never experienced a problem, in fact yesterday, I dumped it in deep sand and had no probs.

I've been drooling over the G2 handguard mount and bar cap in the TT store:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2009/default.asp?p=161

Won't really work with a bearing throttle tube, but those won't work with handguards anyway. Or, as others have mentioned, 2 throttle tubes and you'll get good at changing them quickly.

Thanks Guys, lots of good advice. The Odi lock on grips look like the winner simple and the cheapest route. Pretty cool that they are also the throttle tube.

I just use a normal grip on the throttle tube.

and I bought a 2 pack of ODI lock on ruffian grips. theyre 7/8 size so obviously wont work on the throttle which is fine as I use a normal grip anyways and it never rotates on the throttle tube.

I put 1 IDO on the left side of handlebar.. I imagine it will last a very long time, and when it does finally die, I have a spare grip sitting in the shop!! not bad.