2 Stroke Transition

I am currently injured and I keep myself entertained by thinking of the day that I can return to riding. At the moment I am toying with the idea of selling my 250F and getting a YZ250. I'm a heavier guy and I need the power on the start, but I am worried that I won't be able to ride the two stroke as effectively as the 4 stroke. I was wondering if anyone has any race experience on their 250t after moving from a 250F, and if it helped their results or hindered them?

Have you ridden a 2t before? Chances are, you will be slower for awhile. 4t's make it a lot easier to go faster on the track. a 250 2t, in the right hands, should dispatch any 250f with no problems, and give the 450's a run for their money. You have to 'ride' the 2 stroke. There will be no engine braking, and remember that it steers from the rear wheel, as the front is usually floating over the top of the ground. If you have never ridden one before, it will definitely take some seat time, the clutch is your friend, and every chance you get, twist that throttle as far as you can.

I started riding in 2003 and I rode a 125 from March of 2003 until January of 2005. I feel like I ride a 250F pretty hard but I really have no clue as to how i'll transition if I decide to go to the 2 banger.

I started riding in 2003 and I rode a 125 from March of 2003 until January of 2005. I feel like I ride a 250F pretty hard but I really have no clue as to how i'll transition if I decide to go to the 2 banger.

Your query would be answered best by redrider121

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8172987&postcount=1

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8172987#post8172987

He used to raced a CRF250R and now a YZ250 2-stroke. He's smoking a lot of 250F's and 450F's with his 250 2-stroke.

Send him a PM. Good luck

Just remember that generations of riders had great fun and rode fast long before the 250f was ever conceived, and they did so without breaking the bank. It will take some time to get used to a smoker, but just remember that you will be having a huge power advantage working for you.

I owned (until recently) both a KX250 and a YZ250F. I could run similar lap times on either bike, but I had to work a lot harder on the 250F to do it. The 250F may have a broader smoother spread of power, but it makes a LOT less of it, and that was a hard deficit to make up. And any body that tries to tell you a 250F has more torque than a 250T doesn't know what they are talking about, the 250T makes more power than the 250F from the first crack of the throttle until it runs out of breathing on top.

The KX250 was harder hitting, but not dramatically so, the power was actually pretty damn smooth. The only place it fell short was in revs on top, it would hit a brick wall and just stop revving while the 250F still had a lot more revs left.

I wouldn't hesitate to trade up to a 250T from a 250F, especially if you are a big guy.

I have had a 250 2 stroke for the last 2 years, and a 450 4 stroke for the past 3. This season I'm going to be racing the 250 2stroke exclusively, and to be honest I really don't miss my 450 at all. The 250 will take you a while to get used to, as it did for me, but if you stick with it the rewards are there. Most of the two stroke 4 stroke debate is in your head. If you convince yourself that 4strokes are faster, then you will be better on the 4 stroke. If you can stay open minded about the 2 stroke long enough to learn to ride the thing, then you really have a chance. I race off road only though, so it might be a tad different, but having a simple easy to start bike that weighs the same as a 250f but has 10 more horsepower sounds pretty good almost anywhere you ride.

And any body that tries to tell you a 250F has more torque than a 250T doesn't know what they are talking about, the 250T makes more power than the 250F from the first crack of the throttle until it runs out of breathing on top.

Like what he says, I fully subscribe to it ­čśĆ

A YZ250 makes a peak torque close roughly 31 ft-lb (30.6 ft-lb) at 7500 rpm, while a YZ250F produces barely 19 ft-lb of peak torque at an even higher rpm range. In fact, the 250 2-stroke is already making close to 21 ft-lb torque at even slightly less than 4000 rpm.

Have you ridden a 2t before? Chances are, you will be slower for awhile. 4t's make it a lot easier to go faster on the track. a 250 2t, in the right hands, should dispatch any 250f with no problems, and give the 450's a run for their money. You have to 'ride' the 2 stroke. There will be no engine braking, and remember that it steers from the rear wheel, as the front is usually floating over the top of the ground. If you have never ridden one before, it will definitely take some seat time, the clutch is your friend, and every chance you get, twist that throttle as far as you can.

+1

It will take some seat time to get used to the lack of engine braking and the hit of a 250 2stroke. However, once you get used to the bike, you have a beast that makes way more power than the 250f and is lighter as well.