Grearing ratio question

This thing won't let me fix my Grearing typo (Gearing)!

I bought a 09 450 EXC. The bike came with 15 front 45 rear sprockets. Stupid gearing. After much research It seems most people seem to run 14 front, 50 rear for a 3.57 ratio. That requires throwing away brand new sprockets and the chain and buying new.$$$. I see that 13 front and stock 45 rear would get me close, at 3.46.

My questions are is, and the first is probably a dumb question, If the ratio was the same would there be a difference in torque at the wheel using a different gearing combo getting me to that ratio?

#2 would 13/45 fit just fine?

Edited by divebiker

i wore the stock stuff out before i regeared, couldnt justify spending money for thingss that were not broke. to answer one of the Q's it doesnt matter how you get the ratio it will feel the same. imo the reason most guys dont go to a 12 or 13 tooth front sproket is the belief that they wear chains out faster( turning faster in a tighter circle), im not sure if this is 100% true or not. also nobody is going to notice if you change the front, but your bike will look 10% faster if you do the trick aftermarket rear sprocket. especially if its color coordinated with your bike!

Darn it cliffsherman you blew it for me. I wanted that fancy KTM orange and black, steel on the outside alloy in the middle sprocket the parts woman tried me to sell me. I think it was $100+ "All the KTM guys are using this" she said. Yea right sign me up, not.

i wore the stock stuff out before i regeared, couldnt justify spending money for thingss that were not broke QUOTE]

I hear you on that. You didnt ride it with the stock 15-45? What did you change to untill you swapped everything out and what kind of terrain do you ride in?

i put almost 200 hrs on the stock 15-45 gearing, now im running 14-48.next gear change will be 14-50. for the first year and a half i primarily did open desert terrain and the dunes, lots of high speed stuff, so although the gearing sucked i could make it work. i've since moved and the riding im doing know is a lot more single track and mountain riding in the sierra nevada mountains.

all the guys who never actually ride( to scared to scratch all there pretty orange stuff)use them

Orange is the reason why it took me so long to buy a KTM. Ha ha he he. It is growing on me. I keep telling myself, "orange looks ok." But man the orange bike flys!

I run a 13f 48r and to me it is perfect. I seem to never use 1st gear except to start. And I can go 100+ in 6th. Best of all I was able to use the stock chain. I do most my riding in 3rd gear. The bike just loves to lug along. (2010 EXC 450)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok here is my gearing history if anyone cares.

After trying the stock 15/45 It was way too tall, useless,

14/45 was still tall but would be fine for street and fast 2 track, It should had been the stock street gearing.

13/45 worked ok but for me it was still a little fast for tight woods.

13/50 It would be great for woods only riding (around here we have steep, mud, rocks and roots) but with the stock chain it tore up my shock mud guard.

So I settled on 14/50 with a new longer chain. I can still put threw the woods just fine and still ride fast desert 2 track and on the road no problem.

Ok here is my gearing history if anyone cares.

After trying the stock 15/45 It was way too tall, useless,

14/45 was still tall but would be fine for street and fast 2 track, It should had been the stock street gearing.

13/45 worked ok but for me it was still a little fast for tight woods.

13/50 It would be great for woods only riding (around here we have steep, mud, rocks and roots) but with the stock chain it tore up my shock mud guard.

So I settled on 14/50 with a new longer chain. I can still put threw the woods just fine and still ride fast desert 2 track and on the road no problem.

i agree, i went 14/50 after wearing out my 14/52 combo (08 450excr) 3rd is still prety usable on the trails and i do a lot of 5th gear road riding now instead of always being in 6th.:banana:

my bike came w/ 13/50 from the PO...not sure if the countershaft output is the same as ur bike...

...great for the woods and will hit 85mph quickly w/ sum left over. :banana:👍

i like to be able to leave it it second on the tight stuff and clutch it rather than drop'n to first.

i've personally put 50hrs on new sprockets and chain...the only thing show'n wear is the 13T countershaft sprocket...sliders all recently removed, cleaned and inspected.

will replace the chain and 13T in another 10hrs...KTM Branded Super Sprocket show'n no wear plus da bling! :eek:

these are consumables as far as i'm concerned.🤣

i'll probably go to 14/52 whe i wear out the rear sprocket

😉

I'm running the 14-50 combination and I find it too tall for slow woods riding. The EXC-W stock gearing I believe is 13-52. My next change will be to the 13 tooth counter shaft. I purchased the 50 tooth rear KTM Hard Parts steel/aluminum sprocket for $79 from my dealer - he is outstanding (Moto Sports in Des Moines, IA)!

running 15/52 here and I really like it, next time around I'll probably go 14/48 which is essentially the same. 05 W/570 big bore and EXC trans.

Oh and BTW that spendy orange Stealth sprocket she tried to sell you, Well I'm on my second chain and second front sprocket with the same Stealth rear and it still looks damn near new. They are worth the $$ but not until your dead set on liking your ratio.