Gearing ratio question

You DRZ guys know your stuff here so I thought I would ask you guys this question. I sold my beloved DRZ and YZ and I bought a 09 450 EXC. Love it! The bike came with 15 front 45 rear sprockets. Stupid gearing. After much research It seems most people seem to run 14 front, 50 rear for a 3.57 ratio. That requires throwing away brand new sprockets and the chain and buyinmg new$$$$. I see that 13 front and stock 45 rear would get me close, at 3.46.

My questions is and probably a dumb question, If the ratio was the same would there a difference in torque at the wheel using a different combo of getting to that ratio final ratio?

Your rear wheel would have a smaller moment of inertia given a smaller rear sprocket. Not sure if it's significant in the world of dirt bikes, but in theory that would allow more efficient use of your torque (faster acceleration/deceleration, less load on the brakes, etc.). You could determine the significance if you knew the weight difference of the 45- and 50-tooth sprockets, as well as the sprocket diameters or something about their mass distribution.

Haha that, or I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Gear ratio is gear ratio. Makes no difference to torque how you get it. BUT for chain life, it is desirable to run as large a countershaft sprocket as reasonable. For you that is 14.

As an alternative, run the 13/45 until you need replacements then go to 14/50

Where and how do you ride? For many people 13/50 or even 13/51 is a choice for tight stuff.

I ride in all terrain. I live in Anacortes so we have some trails you can putt around here. Putting because of hikers and whatnot. So I ride around town and Ill ride single track at walker valley, you know steep, slippery roots and rocks after I get my first scratch or 2 on my new bike. Also out in the desert outside of Bend OR for high speed stuff. I want to get it set up eventually after a wear this set out to get a setup where I can switch the front sprocket out for woods and swap it out again for street/desert.

Your rear wheel would have a smaller moment of inertia given a smaller rear sprocket. Not sure if it's significant in the world of dirt bikes, but in theory that would allow more efficient use of your torque (faster acceleration/deceleration, less load on the brakes, etc.). You could determine the significance if you knew the weight difference of the 45- and 50-tooth sprockets, as well as the sprocket diameters or something about their mass distribution.

Haha that, or I have no idea what I'm talking about.

HA ha thats good. The scary thing is I was following you. Humm not sure I am worried about the weight to inertia at this point. But sounds like if I leave the smaller back one on Ill have the advantage over those big $100+ orange and black spockets these guys have. ­čśĆ)