Risks with purchasing used, "plated", "street legal" XR400

Hello,

I live in SC and I am looking at either purchasing a 96 XR400R that is presently "plated" and "street legal" in SC, or purchasing a 04 XR400R that is presently "plated" and "street legal" in GA. (I presently own a 93 XR250L, but am looking to upsize to a XR400.)

Based on previous posts, I am under the impression that there is some risk that I may not be able to "plate" either of these bikes when I do a title transfer, since these are XR400R models and not factory built street legal models like the XR250L.

Is one bike less risky that the other as far as title transfers, plating, and registering the bike in my name (for street legal use)?

For example, will I have less risk transferring the title and plating an older bike that is in-state (96 XR400R), as opposed to transferring the title and plating a newer bike that is presently plated out of state (04 XR400R)

Any feedback is appreciated,

Steve

If it's a grey area and you're trying to slide through, i'd go with the instate sale for sure. In our state, out of state vehicle purchases have to be inspected by a cop. Instate you take the paper into BMV....if it's legal for him, it's legal for you.

The less you have 'officials' looking at your bike, the better off.

I would look at more than just the plate.....

Look at where the shifter connects to the rod that goes into the engine..

that shift rod on the XR's seem to have a problem stripping or cracking and if you need to replace it, its an engine split.... i've seen people weld them too.... thats just a bandaid

In case you haven't seen it already:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=897519

YMMV - it will vary by your location.

You could always do what I did; look up the law and regulations - they are usually online, they are for my state. It took some digging and research but I found out what the official law, regulations and policy currently is. For Oregon it was a lot easier - I didn't have to dig so much as their DMV pretty much had most of the relevant info online, easy to find and explained in easy to understand language rather than having to piece it together like WA state does.

If it's a grey area and you're trying to slide through, i'd go with the instate sale for sure. In our state, out of state vehicle purchases have to be inspected by a cop. Instate you take the paper into BMV....if it's legal for him, it's legal for you.

The less you have 'officials' looking at your bike, the better off.

Some states sometimes require VIN inspections on out of state vehicles coming in to prevent stolen vehicle trafficking. Some states also have policies about vehicle documents from some other states that meet their guidelines regarding those documents and where they have an integration between their computer systems so they can check the data - to the point where they don't require an inspection if the document is from that state.

Generally they prefer not to occupy the time of a state employee with doing a VIN inspection.

Some states sometimes require VIN inspections on out of state vehicles coming in to prevent stolen vehicle trafficking. Some states also have policies about vehicle documents from some other states that meet their guidelines regarding those documents and where they have an integration between their computer systems so they can check the data - to the point where they don't require an inspection if the document is from that state.

Generally they prefer not to occupy the time of a state employee with doing a VIN inspection.

I couldn't care less what they want. WE pay their salaries. If I think it would be easier to get through BMV (I do) that's what I would do. And recommend. ­čśĆ

I bought a SC plated XR650r a few months back that originally came from NC so I know it can be done although I'm not sure how hard it is. He had a street title so here in WV all I had to do is transfer the title and buy my plate. ­čśĆ