2006 250sxf question

I am new to the world of moto, a friend of mine who is moving for grad school has a 2006.5 250sxf, never raced with 36hrs of trail use on it with regular oil changes done. I would like to buy the bike from him but am wondering if it too much of a bike for just a trail bike. I like the close ratio tranny and the size of the bike. Are these engines know to be strong or am i going to be faced with issues if i trail ride the bike alot. Just wondering---thanks

I have the same bike and use it for trail riding, enduros, and hare scrambles. The guy I bought it from had put an 8oz flywheel on it, a 3 gallon tank, and an 18" rear wheel. I added a JD jet kit and it starts easier than my 200 now.

I replaced the top end at around 50 hours. The valves had never moved in that time, but the piston showed some signs of wear, probably from a mis-installed air filter. New piston, rings, and valves, and I should be good for another 50 hours.

If you do buy the bike, replace the plastic y-fitting on the upper radiator hoses either with a cast part or one-piece hoses. This fitting cracked on my bike and I lost all of the coolant without noticing it. The bike ran like normal until it got hot enough to kill the stator.