CR-500 or SX-300

I used to race CR-500 in the late 80's early 90's. Every one says that the SX-250 with the 300 kit is too much. I really liked the CR and had a lot of fun with it, and I have a 09 SX-250. Just don't know if I am trying to relive the past or what. My style of ridding is like Bailey or Windham. I know to buy the 300 kit is much cheeper then a Service Honda. Any suggestions?

You can do the 300 thing alot cheaper then the kit by buying a used jug and having it replated and what not. KTMtalk classifieds is the best place to find people parting out bikes. I found parts and a plater where I could do the 300 kit for less then 500 bucks. I decided to spend 50 and get my head cut, and save up for porting.

I have a pretty heavily modified 300SX. I don't find it to be nearly too much hp. I'd like a fair bit more. It ain't no CR500. The 300 is actually a 293cc btw.

Buy a 300 kit (there is ported one on KTM talk for $600), Dick's carb mods, add the Boyesen RAD valve,the SST pipe, get your 300 head modified for hi compression, and lastly, get the 314cc stroker kit thru Falicon. Look on www.ktmworld.com for an article about that engine mod.

It'll run then.

Thanks for all the replies. I am thinking the 300 kit with some additional work is alot cheaper than the Service Honda CR-500AF, but that bike sure does look sexy. May be I can find something to sell for the asking price of $10,450.00. Never thought I would see the day of a $10,000.00 dirt bike.