XL Shrouds: Need 'Em?

Many different opinions on this if you search some previous threads...but they supposedly are there for the reason of airflow. But many people on here run oversized tanks, which means you have to ditch the shrouds anyway...

Hi Folks. My first post.

I ride my XR650L (full White Brothers, jetted, de-snorkled, etc.) in western Maine where it rarely gets above 80 degrees. Mostly back roads and fire roads. I prefer the look of the bike without the shrouds. Does one really need 'em? Thanks for the advice!

I live in New Brunswick brother........basically same climate.......the wings may look funny but they do keep the bike cooler at any decent speed..if you do alot of fast slab with the wings 250 degrees is easy to see in oil temp...if you don`t push it,mainly riding 5-60 mph you`ll see about 200 or a little better with the wings.......so if you don`t ride the hell out of it you`ll likely be fine,alot of people take them off.......i`m keeping mine for the time being though,,they DO work..

B

Thanks for the input. Given where the bikes will live 100% of the time, they will never see speeds over 60mph given the roads. Cooler air temp, low humidity. I think the wings will stay in the "stock bits" box!

I've been riding BMWs, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, SR500s for 35 years. Trued a DRz400 a few years back but it had no guts. This opened up XRL is by far the most fun motor I have ever thrown a leg over! Took me a while to see the light, but better late than never!

I live in New Brunswick brother........basically same climate.......the wings may look funny but they do keep the bike cooler at any decent speed..if you do alot of fast slab with the wings 250 degrees is easy to see in oil temp...if you don`t push it,mainly riding 5-60 mph you`ll see about 200 or a little better with the wings.......so if you don`t ride the hell out of it you`ll likely be fine,alot of people take them off.......i`m keeping mine for the time being though,,they DO work..

B

I am in Washington state and see temps of around 200 with a IMS tank or stock tank without the wings. This is at 50-65 MPH. I like the look of it too minus the wings. I think I would install them if it was really hot 90 plus and or i lived in a hotter climate.

You re-jetted and you are in a cooler climate, you don't need them. If you lived in New Mexico or Texas, you would want to keep an eye on the temps but you don't even have to worry about it where you live.